[Comments & Feedback] Most Popular Motion Sensors in 2023

Best one out there is the Aqara FP2. Too bad it doesn't connect directly to Hubitat.

3 Likes

I'm quite happy with my Thirdreality, I love that I can use a rechargeable battery. But I'd gladly pay a bit more for one with a lux sensor.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Most Popular Motion Sensors in 2023

@bobbyD are you sure about moving my post? Third Reality had two different ones. I think the initial post was about the battery operated one versus the 3 in 1.

1 Like

Not sure, good point. @Pat-C when you have a chance could you please specify the model of your Third Reality entry?

https://community.hubitat.com/t/most-popular-motion-sensors-in-2023/129355/8

I second the FP2 vote. That is hands down the most innovative, most accurate, most responsive and useful motion sensor this year, and of all time.

2 Likes

Since @Pat-C didn't get a chance to clarify which Third Reality model he nominated, I moved your comment back to the nominations.

@Pat-C if you'd like to nominate another TR model, please add it back to the list. I removed your nomination for now. Thanks for your input.

Aeotec SmartThings, not the cheapest but never had any issues with them
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08RG96JNQ?th=1

TUYA Human Presence Detect v3.0.

Works fine and very reasonably priced.

Steve

1 Like

The Aqara FP2.

I second that! Direct connection to HE would be amazing. I understand this is a blue tooth device. Shame there's no Aqara hub integration

Hopefully, Aqara will expose the FP2 motion sensor via Matter Gateway function in their hubs later this year.

1 Like

In the meantime the Moe's/Linptech ES1 is a good runner up and extremely well priced.

1 Like

Another vote for the Philips Hue zigbee motion sensors - both indoors & outdoor versions.
Reliable and great battery life.

My Aeotec multisensors are great, but pricier and get through the batteries quicker.

3 Likes

Brand new Ikea motion not on the market long enough to declare a "popularity winner"....

BUT...if the last two weeks are any indication I gotta say the VALUE to PERFORMANCE ratio is high.

Even pushing my luck by having this INDOOR motion outdoors under an outdoor porch awning and it's a fast catcher with speedy reporting to HE. We'll see how it does once the summer heat comes, that seems to be the "sensitivity test" for all these. Oh and I haven't had it up long enough to comment on the battery life which, as we know, has been a sore spot for some Ikea devices.

It is nice to see that Ikea is committing to making their next generation Zigbee stuff WORK better....and aligned with standards (and thus hubs other than their own). That didn't seem to be the case initially.

4 Likes

$8.99 is a great price for it. And I like that it uses 2 AAA batteries.

2 Likes

+1 on these. Love they report temp which affects battery life (6months for me), but still great!
Second favorite (longer battery life) has been the Zooz ZSE18

I've moved your post to this topic, per the instructions in the original topic to post only nominations and use the linked topics for discussion (see: Most Popular Motion Sensors in 2023), and same for the similar post in the locks topic.

That being said, I wonder if it's time for @bobbyD to consider closing these topics and tallying the results or whatever the intent was now that we're a few weeks into 2024. :smiley:

3 Likes

Agreed, its aeotec for me too

I also voted for the Philips Hue motion sensor. I like the battery life and the fact it can take rechargeable AAA and provide lux values.

I mostly have Aeotec/SmartThings motion sensors, which have been very reliable. I have been trying them out with rechargeable Lipo CR2, but I don't think battery life will be great as only 300mAh. So definitely prefer the Hue ones now.