[Comments & Feedback] Most Popular Light Bulbs and Light Strips in 2023

Please use this thread to add comments and feedback to any of the nominees: Most Popular Light Bulbs and Light Strips in 2023

1 Like

Are these zigbee or zwave, or do they add another device to the wifi network?

These are Wi-Fi strips running local via @djgutheinz's awesome integration.

I am glad you had good experience with these. I had high hopes for them as alternative to the more expensive Hub strings. I have 3 of them and they gave me nothing but troubles. They were a royal pain to pair, and now they cannot even stay connected to my network - running firmware version 1.2.2.

I'm on 1.0.0. Wonder if that makes a difference. (I'll try to find a changelog)

Are you sure that's not the hardware?

Interesting, update one of yours and see if they start dropping off LOL

1 Like

While we are on this subject, their iOS mobile app is totally different than Android. For example, the iOS app allows you to change the network (or reconnect to Wi-Fi) if the device is running on ble. That is not an option on the Android app.

iOS

Android (note that Matter is already enabled, but device is offline on Matter network)

I've given up on Sengled bulbs after several years of success with them. Over the last six months several individual ones randomly drop off and require a power cycle to reconnect. I finally bit the bullet and replaced them with Hue A19 white and color. Eleven of the Sengleds are in a box, all work and are reset and in need of a new home.

I with @djgutheinz on this these lights are very good.

Tapo Matter Color Bulbs, L535E, 1100 lumens

1 Like

That’s a con. You don’t need a “secondary hub” with any bulb that “needs” a hub since you can just use them directly with Hubitat. I’ve got Ikea bulbs that “need” an Ikea hub, Sengled bulbs that need their hub, Innr bulbs that need their hub, and Hue bulbs that need their hub.

I don’t own a single one of these hubs, they’re all connected directly to Hubitat, and aren’t bogging down my WiFi. I certainly appreciate keeping my 2.4GHz as un-congested as possible so my Sonos and other important WiFi devices that don’t have 5GHz work as well as possible. I suppose I could have a dedicated router for Sonos and another for WiFi bulbs… but that would be the silliest possible secondary “hub”…

The only exception to this are the maybe 1 or 2 bulbs on the market that use Thread, but those will with with a C8 via Matter if you have another device that works as a Thread border router, which a ton of people already have, as the newer Alexa, Google, and Apple stuff have a thread border router in them.

1 Like

Well, I beg to differ.
A wanted a light bulb (actually 33 of them in total). I didn't want x number of Philips Hue Hubs (I have been down that road). And I definitely do NOT want some IKEA low-end tech. I have been there too...

Will it congest my internet? Not really. My XT12 Mesh can handle it very well. If not, I'll hook up my old Asus GT router and run it dedicated. But thanks for your concern.

Sure, I would love to have matter enabled completely and seamlessly. Will that happen anytime soon? Nope, I won't hold my breath. Google Nest Hub identified the bulbs, then crapped out saying it wasn't compatible. Smartthings picked it up, but showed errors in installing it. I didn't go any deeper trying to check what was happening as I am 100% disinterested in Google and Smartthings. They offer nothing except the absolute basics.

So yes, after being a beta tester, flashing all kinds of devices with home cooked ROMs for 20 years, I am at a stage in life where I expect a smart bulb, smart plug and smart hub, to be... smart.

In other words, not so interested in having a myriad of HA, Google Nest, Samsung Smartthings, Philips Hue and any other light hub to get things to work. I chose my hub based on the tech it provides, some scripting and drivers I can put together. I liked Hubitat. My mission is to make it work in one hub.

But again, it is a matter of choice. Some people like to tinker and love the experience of making things work across multiple devices and get a kick out of it. Kudos on them :slight_smile:
I'm just too old. I just want things to work.

Hence, IMHO, having multiple so called "smart hubs" to make things work, defies the definition. But that is my take.

Again, you do NOT need a Hue hub. You can DIRECTLY pair Hue to Hubitat. Click on "add Zigbee device", add them to Hubitat and you're done. No fiddling with WiFi settings. No need for DHCP reservations, static IPs, or connecting bulbs to your WiFi with some crappy app from the bulb manufacturer.

As far as Ikea being "low-end"... I've got quite a few of their color-temp only bulbs and they're excellent. Easily as good as similar bulbs from Hue or other high-end brands.

1 Like

I tried 11 Philips Hue without hub and gave up. There was always one or two not doing the right thing. Hence, the take on this forum from many others, is that the hub is the option that works. I am not a big fan of Hue Hub, so even if it worked, I decomisioned it. .

But if others can make it work, then sure, I would love that to see everyone happy. I am just stating that the lights work perfect (all 33 of them) in my config. I simply gave my take on pros and cons on Philips Wiz given my requirements. Besides, my WiFi mesh covers most of my property. Any other protocols would require additional repeaters anyway. YMMV.

Cheers.

Phillips Hue - always rock solid.
I added the Festavia outdoor string lights this year and love them. They synced well with my other hue outdoor lights and were not over the top flashy (Twinkly comes to mind).

How true is this though, long term? I've had two of my Hue bulbs fail in the last year, bought in 2018 and 2019. So a bit disappointing.