[Released] Rule Machine 3.0

This is excellent and I look forward to it! Mainly because I will be able to have fewer rules as I will be able to combine various rules! I only have a couple of WC pistons still running through ST and I am hoping to get this all over to HE.

It does look great.

Fewer rules is ok - not like we pay by the rule though - but conditional actions let me do things I couldn't really do before without making a user app.

That is really useful!

2 Likes

I'm not an impatient person.
I WANT IT NOW!!! :wink:
I think this will mean I can rationalise my away rules from 3 to 1 per room and that's just a start.
I used 'while' loops quite a bit with webCxxx. I can forget that swear word now.

4 Likes

At least they said it should be coming in the next couple days. Not like we have to wait weeks. :grinning:

2 Likes

I think what they said was "don't be surprised if you see it in the next couple days" which also implies "don't be surprised if you don't see it in the next couple days" :wink:

10 Likes

No, this has not been included in Rule 3.0. Perhaps some future version...

2 Likes

I understand the problem with this. I think the UI could be improved a bit to make it clearer that the delay happens before the action. It's not an immediately obvious thing that multiple actions with their own delays all start their timers at the same time, but that's what it does.

Really? I didn't understand that at all from last night's demo. That's good information, thanks!

I just need to play with it when it comes out I guess. :grinning::grinning::+1::+1:

True. That detail got lost in my summarization. Or maybe it was wishful thinking. :slight_smile:

Ultimately with "attributes" as conditions/triggers supported, along with HTTP Post, we can create high level "native" HE app by Rules to push event data to Local web server which will be more safe and efficient.

1 Like

Wow!
As a user recently migrated from Stringify it's fantastic to see this level of enhancement after 18 months of Comcast screwing with that system.
Keep up the fantastic work!

1 Like

It would be great (maybe in a future release: like 3.1 :wink:) to have a way to know which device triggered a rule when using multiple triggering devices as condition

Let say I define 3 sensors in a rule condition and in the action section I put:
If sensor 1 detected motion, do something, if sensor 2 detected motion do something else...
(Something similar to "$currentEventDevice" in WebCore)

That way, instead of having to create 3 rules, we would need to create just one :slight_smile:

And at the same time, implementing something similar to WebCore "$currentEventValue" would also be incredibly useful.

Keep up the good work.

These values do exist and you can put them into a variable. You reference them as %device% and %value%. So you will be able to do this in 3.0.

2 Likes

You just made my day :smiley:

Let's hope we'll get 3.0 very soon...

This looks fantastic! Thanks @bravenel - a lot of consolidation will be taking place!

Can you trigger it today please?

1 Like

I am the only one who, while reading this, found themselves going:
yes.....Yes....YES....YES!!!.....YES!!!!.....YES!!!!!!

I felt like Meg Ryan over here!
tenor%20(1)

@bravenel, I did have one question about timers:

Does this mean that if I have 3 actions, each with 1 second timer, that the actions will be separated by 1 second (1 second delay between each action) or that all actions will execute after after 1 second? Visually this would like like

A) Separated:
1 second
Action A
1 second
Action B
1 second
Action C

or

B) Common Start:
1 second
Action A, Action B, Action C

Amazing job. Looks like a huge leap forward for the platform. Congrats. I'm sure it's been a lot of work.

UPDATE: Answered my own question thanks to theHubitat Live event, which I missed because of work (stupid job). The delay on the action is independent of the other actions and each start on their own (basically B). But there are Delay actions, so you can also get A too!!! Just like picking a switch to control, you can select a delay of a specific duration. So, you don't have to choose which you get, you can do either one! Mind blown!

Can't wait for 3.0! Nice job doing it live with that speed as well. Finally I can get rid of that grumpy old man image of @bravenel. He was super cheerful on the show :grin:

8 Likes

Yeah he needs to turn the grumpy up a bit when on camera :grin:

Oh, and nice coffee mug @mike.maxwell :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

I'm sure you are right, and I'm missing something.

But I still don't get this, though... Because they also emphasized that the actions are now performed "in the order listed" (a change from previous releases).

How are they performed in order, if they all start at the same time like your B? How are they in the order listed if each action delay timer starts at the same time?

If the delay on action 1 is longer than the delay on action 2, does that mean action 2 actually executes before action 1???

And how would putting a delay action in between put them back in order / delay between if each action start 'timer' begins at the same time?