Coding with the Community — Episode 1

Hi Adam, good job...

One further question after you added contacts or switches as input choices in your example. Do you know of any way to combine those into one device selector input rather than the two separate ones , even if it’s by combining two maps to create another single selector ? I still want a device input, not say a name list.

I’m looking to make a single input selector that has all the ‘virtual’ device types listed , and no multiple selection. Would tidy my app up a bit...

1 Like

@kevin, I couldn't find the post but I know this was asked before and one of the staff responded that this would not be possible. I'm always hoping that someone could think of a creative way to get around this because I would like to do this as well.
It was mentioned that the only way to get multiple device types in one input would be to use a shared capability...actuator being the most common...but of course that would add a lot more devices that you don't want in the list as well. If you ever find a creative workaround please @ me.

2 Likes

Another thank you for doing this. Your production quality was incredible, on top of how great the content was! Looking forward to more!

2 Likes

thanks! It was a lot of fun—I’m looking forward to the next episode.

Any thoughts on what you’d all like to see covered?

Yes, I was in that last thread.. but like yourself ever hopeful for a workaround. Adam’s example was so appropriate that I thought I’d ask.

1 Like

I’ll see if I can think of a way to combine them... it would certainly be cleaner for a lot of my apps...

2 Likes

You can make a text list of devices and then look them up I from that dropdown to get a device object but looking for a way to use a device list directly.

Wow.. We are on the topics of first computers?... Ok .. Mine was a TI 99/4A

That is what got me started in programming..

4 Likes

I think a quick overview of the way a HE app works might be useful to get people started. I.e. the role of events and what generates them, which is quite different to how some ‘Geezers’ are used to a traditional program working. The code sets up the event listeners and then exits basically awaiting things to happen. This is often all a program is doing once running , barring scheduled events.

Often I see people asking if big programs cause a heavy loading on the hub, and contribute to slowdowns. Which isn’t actually the way resource usage happens on HE.

OOP is going to be new to some coders too but that’s a big topic, with a lot of other good resources available online... maybe link to some good ones for beginners... ?

2 Likes

Mine too! With a Casette Drive! Along with a subscription to COMPUTE! and BYTE! Both of which used to provide code listings for projects to do in Basic.

Loved that TI -- I think I got mine in 1980 and had it attached to a 15" Black & White television.

Good Times.

S.

2 Likes

OMG .. I had those too .. Nostalgia

1 Like

Fond memories! I spent the better part of a day copying a Space Invaders-type game out of one of those mags, saved it to cassette, and then my sister recorded Duran Duran songs over it.

6 Likes

Sounds similar on playback :rofl:

6 Likes

OK,
I can't resist. My first computer was a KIM-1

4 Likes

Woah! What do the pins on the side do? I've never heard of that.

Also, you've all inspired me to do something special for the next episode :wink:

3 Likes

That’s hard core

1 Like

I/O from the processor. Light LEDs etc.

Yes, I'm that old. :wink:

4 Likes

I like the OS/2 shirt in your profile pic.. That OS had so much potential..

The nostalgia is strong with this thread

4 Likes

We remember all these things from the past but forget what we had for lunch yesterday.

3 Likes

Lunch? What is this lunch you speak of? :wink:

3 Likes