Code question

I'm working on troubleshooting some code. I would really like to learn a bit more about Groovy so I'm diving in to solve a problem with an app. Two questions.

• Is there a way to log to an external file? I have some code that needs to run at least 24 hours to capture and midnight event. Specifically I am trying to see what is causing a light switch that is told to only be on daily between sunset and 10pm PST. For some reason the routine trips at midnight and I can't figure out from the logs why because they roll over by the next morning.

• I found the following piece of code on a Smartthings forum.
    def contactHandler(evt) {

// Door is opened. Now check if today is one of the preset days-of-week
    def df = new java.text.SimpleDateFormat("EEEE")
    // Ensure the new date object is set to local time zone
    df.setTimeZone(location.timeZone)
    def day = df.format(new Date())
    //Does the preference input Days, i.e., days-of-week, contain today?
    def dayCheck = days.contains(day)
    if (dayCheck) {
    def between = timeOfDayIsBetween(fromTime, toTime, new Date(), location.timeZone)
    if (between) {
    roomLight.on()
    } else {
    roomLight.off()
    }
    }
    }

Can someone tell me if this code would execute properly if executed at midnight? I think it would but I'm not sure how to test it in a test environment.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

1. No. Although you may be able to rig something external using Node Red (maybe? Not my area of expertise - I've never needed to log externally)...
  2. Best way to learn is to try it, with appropriate level of logging enabled, and see what happens. Post questions about errors if it doesn't work. You'll probably get your answer much faster than asking someone else to do a dry read of your code.
1 Like

Try this... sorry didn't have time to test but give it a try. You x-out notification if you don't have one setup.

/*
 *  Copyright 2017, 2018 Hubitat, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
 *  This software if free for Private Use. You may use and modify the software without distributing it.
 *  You may not grant a sublicense to modify and distribute this software to third parties.
 *  Software is provided without warranty and your use of it is at your own risk.
 */

definition(
    name: "Lights_On_Off",
    namespace: "you...",
    author: "you...",
    description: "what ever....",
    category: "My Apps",
	iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience.png",
	iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience@2x.png",
	iconX3Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Convenience/Cat-Convenience@2x.png"
)

preferences {
	page(name: "main")
}

def main(){
	dynamicPage(name: "main", title: "Send Hub Events", uninstall: true, install: true){
		section("Select Switch") {
			input "roomLight", "capability.switch", title: "Select Light", required: true, multiple: false
		}

section("Input Notification Device") {
			input "notificationdevice", "capability.notification", title: "Select Notification Device", required: true, multiple: false
		}
	}
}

def installed() {
    initialize()
}

def updated() {
    unsubscribe()
    initialize()
}

def initialize() {
	scheduleTurnOnOffTimes()
}

def scheduleTurnOnOffTimes() {
	def sunsetTime = location.sunset
	def timeforSunset = new Date(sunsetTime.time)
	def time_off = "22:00" //10pm
	time_off = new Date(timeToday(time_off).time)

//schedule ON and OFF events to run daily
    schedule(timeforSunset, turnOn) //on time at sunset
	schedule(time_off, turnOff) //off time
}

def turnOn(evt) {
	roomLight.on() //turn on 
	mypause()
	def curr_time = get_currenttime() //get current time
	def roomLightcurrentValue = roomLight.currentValue("switch") //get switch current state
	if (roomLightcurrentValue == "on")	{
		notificationdevice.deviceNotification("lights now on at $curr_time")   //send notification to my phone
		log.debug "light state: $roomLightcurrentValue"
	}
}

def turnOff(evt) {
	roomLight.off() //turn off
	mypause()
	def curr_time = get_currenttime() //get current time
	def roomLightcurrentValue = roomLight.currentValue("switch") //get switch current state
	if (roomLightcurrentValue == "off")	{
		notificationdevice.deviceNotification("lights now off at $curr_time")   //send notification to my phone
		log.debug "light state: $roomLightcurrentValue"
	}
}

def mypause(){
	def executetime = now() + 4000
	while (now() < executetime){}
}

def get_currenttime(){
	def dateTime = new Date()  //get current time
    def mycurr_time = dateTime.format("h:mma E", location.timeZone) //get current time
	return mycurr_time
}
1 Like

Thank you! THAT is quite helpful, @wjohnson54. Hopefully I will get a chance to try this and experiment over the next few evenings. I am looking forward to getting more involved with Groovy programming but it seems rather overwhelming.

Thank you again.

I think you can also leave the log page open overnight on an always on computer as well.

1 Like

Please, please, please do not use this! This is a terrible waste of processing power to "pause" execution, you are making the hub do a ridiculous amount of work to achieve a pause.

1 Like

Thanks Chuck
That's a carryover from ST where they warned not to use "Pause" since they said it was being removed. Not sure if that ever occurred though.

fischer1049: see Chuck's direction on pause and pls make substitution.

1 Like