CoAP support

Does HE support the CoAP protocol ?

1 Like

I don't think so. But I think the HE team knows this one best.

Interesting read though, looks a lot like MQTT, but different / new. :slightly_smiling_face:

@mike.maxwell would you know ?

Nope...

Maybe @bravenel does ?

Not a clue...

well this questions was fruitless

The short answer is no.

The long answer is why do you need it and why are you asking for it. If there is a will there is a way.

My quick read through the RFC RFC 7252 - The Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) suggests its primarily UDP based and this could be done in a driver.

However, to support it properly, we'd probably need to create a new capability to handle the CoAP transport requests and parse the responses.

Since you already essentially asked the same thing here: CoAP examples those replies still apply. If you have an HTTP proxy in front of CoAP then any HTTP request from Hubitat will communicate to the CoAP through that proxy.

Not quite, I've learned something. I thank you for that. Though that was probably not your goal :joy:

May I ask what you want to do with it, if it was supported?

I'm asking because the Shelly devices support CoAP and apparently its better then using the web API. CoAP also supports device discovery so a new device that has CoAP support can be discovered like a zwave and zigbee.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.