Cloud Dashboard Not Loading

I've been having issues with my cloud dashboard loading. Lan links work perfectly fine and fast but once I try the cloud links on my phone (iPhone with latest iOS) it just sits at "loading dashboard".

Any ideas?

Can you access from a desktop with developer tools like Chrome?

Any errors in console or the network tab?

How many devices do you have authorized to that dashboard?

Interesting enough, I can access other dashboards. Its just the two main dashboards that its hung up on. No errors in the HE logs.

There must be a tile its hung up on that is common between the two. One of the dashboards in question only has 4 switches, an attribute tile, a bunch of dashboard tiles, mode tile, and 2 garage door tiles.

I do also see this in firefox if I open up the dev tools and try to go to the cloud links.

I can try to start removing some tiles one by one and testing.

There is a size limit to what can be returned from the hub via the cloud relay. So if the device list is large or a single (or more than one) device / driver is creating a large dataset of data the cloud relay will fail.

Take a look at the size of the /devices endpoint on the local LAN side in the network tab, if that is over 256k the cloud side will fail. Reduce the number of devices or trim out the attributes in custom drivers. This will be addressed in the next release of dashboard.

1 Like

The size reported was only 111kb.

But I think I found it. Those two dashboards had the "Use all your devices" option on. Even though I deleted all tiles except 4 switches, it still would not load. I turned that off and authorized the 4 switches and the dashboards loaded instantly.

I only did that for those two landing pages but all of my other pages I specifically selected the devices.

@patrick that was definitely it. I always though the cloud dashboard was slow but it always eventually loaded. Since turning off all devices and only authorizing the devices on the dashboard it loads much faster.

It feels like the dashboard polls all authorized devices even if they are not on the dashboard and my recent issue of it not loading (or maybe it was just taking forever) could be because of new devices being added and I just hit a threshold.

All is good now.

1 Like

I am having the same issues with my dashboards not loading at all while using the cloud. But for the life of me I can’t find the option to turn off all devices. Is that option from a previous version? Thanks for the help

I had the same issue yesterday. Never had any issues before but yesterday nothing would load when on mobile network. I rebooted when I got home and things seem back to normal.

I was glad to have had Alexa as a backup because I needed to let in the water heater repairman.

From the apps list, open the dashboard, and the selector will be at the top.

I have a fairly basic setup. I think the only things that are non-standard is a Echo Speaks, Zooz Garage Door drivers/app, and Pushover.

Yet my Cloud Dashboard access has been crashing every 24 hours, requiring a HE reboot. After the reboot all worked fine during that 24 hour period. I just saw the above and am giving this a try, but it seems more like a crutch than a fix. I'll report back in a day or two if disabling "Use all your devices" (and not selecting the above items) works for me. But perhaps this just delays how often HE has to be rebooted?

Does anyone know if this is on the developers radar to investigate and fix? Or perhaps just remove the "Use all your devices" selection if its going to break things.

So I made it 3 days before things started to slow down. MUCH better than before where a reboot was necessary after 1 day (I probably could have made it 4-5 days to get to that point). But, I still have to reboot. Things are blazing fast after this.

I limited all my dashboards to authorize only the devices that were on the dashboard.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

It might be better to start a new thread, this might not be a dashboard issue exactly. At a minimum, it is impolite to crash someone else's thread. You could have a bad device, app, or whatever, and it might not be the same problem as the person who started this thread.

At the very least we will need some indication about what devices you have, what your logs show, and whether you have tried anything other than the dashboard tweaks noted above.

It is odd that you would be getting a hard crash from dashboards. That is why I suspect something else is going on, and not just a dashboard issue.

1 Like

The symptoms I'm having are exactly the same, it only noticeably effects cloud dashboards (though local ones are slower, they still load). Everything else functions fine. I also have a pretty basic setup and logs look clear. Thus why I posted here.

So the dashboards don't work, but the hub does? You can access the other parts of the hub just fine?

Again, we can't see your hub, so we need something to go on here.

Yes, only dashboards accessed from the cloud are a problem. I can turn off Wifi on my phone (to force cellular network access) and they die. Turn it on and they load, though they load slower than after a fresh reboot. Reboot HE and they load very fast either way. Everything else seems to work just fine.

The problem appears similar to a memory leak. The dashboards load slower and slower the longer it has been since HE was restarted. I think the problem is probably in the dashboard app code itself.

The only non-stock apps installed are Echo Speaks and Zooz Garage Door opener (by krlaframboise). I don't suspect either of these. My rules are very simple (almost embarrassingly so). A mix of devices but the logs on these are clean, I probably average about two log entries per minute, with a peak of maybe 45/minute (from a Zooz MultiRelay). Nothing unusual, just reporting. Nothing unusual under system events, all reboots were initiated by me or after system updates. No issues with reaching either Z-wave or Zigbee devices. Hubitat Elevation® Platform Version 2.2.1.116, Hardware Version Rev C-5.

My LAN connection is optimized, my PC is on the same segment and gets 73mbps down/6mbps up, 13ms pings.

If I could set an automatic reboot every 3 days at 3am I would do so. Because other than the cloud dashboard everything is working fine.

There are auto reboot apps that community members have written. But I think that is just masking the symptom.

Did you send support an email and see if they had any suggestions?

Do you leave dashboards open all the time? What browser do you use?

I have not contacted technical support yet, I thought I would start here to see if this is a common / known problem.

I mostly use Alexa to control things. I have one main dashboard (32 tiles) and I have much smaller dashboards for my phone, my wife's phone and my Android car head unit. I've tried various browsers. All behave the same way and the problem completely clears after an HE reboot (and is very fast for a couple of days (and not too bad on the third) now that I choose just the devices to allow dashboard access (they were set to "Use all your devices"). This advice certainly helped (as was having to reboot daily).

I use dashboards extensively, and I agree it does hang after a few days. We have 3 iPads (run Kiosk app full time with screen saver) and 2 Android phones (Chrome as needed). When the dashboards hang it does it on all devices. As @John.Herron states a reboot always fixes it.

Also running many third party apps on this hub I do not blame HE, or the Dashboard app alone for these hang ups. If you truly want to isolate the issue you would need to go through the process of disabling/removing all your 3rd party apps, and waiting. Then start disabling devices, and waiting. Once the problem disappears start turning devices back on one by one. Once you find the offending device, or app remove/replace it.

I have built in a reboot cycle nightly for my hubs. I know this is 'masking the problem', but I have not had the time, or patience to go through the above.

I was hoping to do a retrospective study and see what people having the issue have in common. My ADHD kicks in if I have to wait days after adding each thing back :rofl:

I have a pretty simple setup, and only the dashboards seem to have an issue. I'm thinking it is something with the dashboard app itself.

I too may have to go the nightly reboot route.

Your dashboard issue is more than likely just a victim of a bigger issue with the hub slowing down.

You can also look at the devices you have. Anything overly chatty? This could cause some slowdown on the hubs. Sometimes you can see this type of thing by looking at the size of your backups, especially if they log too much.

People have fixed slowdowns by addressing a number of things

• bad power supply
  • overheating
  • bad devices on the zwave/zigbee mesh
  • overly chatty devices flooding the device with messages
  • ghost zwave devices (a little more advanced)
  • and the usual bad apps/drivers
  • router incompatibility which required updating a setting on the hub
  • corrupted database (fixed with a backup, soft reset and restore)

Nightly reboot seem to work for many, but is just masking the issue. If you do go this route make sure its not happening during the maintenance window.

Make sure your dashboards are all set with the "use all devices" off. Otherwise everytime it refreshes over the cloud link it requests the state of every device which happens ever 5 or so seconds depending on your setting.

Hopefully something here points you in the right direction.

2 Likes