Cloud Connection Unavailable / Time incorrect

New user here (about a week now)

Twice now, I've found my HE to be in a state where it has an alert that says "cloud connection unavailable" and the date/time of recently logged events is incorrect.

A few questions here. 1) What's going on with the connection unavailable? I know it isn't my internet connection, because I have plenty of other devices that are always connected, and that report to me when there's a connectivity outage. 2) Is there any place on the device that we can see general stats like uptime? cpu/memory utilization? 3) I know there's a "set date/time from browser" option, but is there an ntp server option anywhere?

I'm going to guess.. you don't have a fixed IP address reserved in your router for the Hub.

Your ISP router is probably performing DHCP and you are getting new IP addresses every few hours/days.

You should be able to make a reservation for the Hub that permanently maps the MAC address (found on the sticker on the bottom of the hub) to an IP address.

You'll want to do the same for all of your Home Automation gear. Lutron SmartBridgePRO, Google Home, Amazon Echo, etc. Everything that you expect to have a near continuous connection between will want to use a fixed IP.

I use my own router, not isp provided, and already have a static reserved address, thatโ€™s not the problem.

Are you blocking outbound NTP requests?

1 Like

Iโ€™m not personally, and I suspect my isp is not either, ntp works for all of my other devices, but it would help to know what ntp server(s) the HE is attempting to use so I could test.

it appears to be using mostly Canonical's ntp servers, indicating the underlying OS is likely Ubuntu.

Here are the IPs I see it talking to, at least from here in SoCal, USA

1 Like

Depends on model, C5 uses the pool.ntp.org resources, C4 uses a different pool.

Good call, for some reason, I didn't even thing of looking at my port logs on my router.
Once I did, I saw that the HE was opening a whole slew of connections to ntp servers, and getting no replies.
A quick google revealed that yes indeed, my ISP, AT&T Gigafiber, DOES block all outbound UDP Port 123 traffic (dumb)
So, for anybody in the same boat:

If you've got a linux based router, the secret sauce is in:
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -p udp --sport 123 -j MASQUERADE --to-ports 49152-65535 --random

Once again. Thanks for the help. This support community has proved to be great!