Clarification about "Groups and Scenes"

I've been testing some stuff with scenes, and I wanted to validate that I'm understanding it correctly.

When setting up a scene, there's an option "Ignore activate switch off?" If I do not ignore, then my understanding is that the new Scene Activator behaves very similarly to a switch for a group. So...

Let's say I make a scene that turns on a couple dimmers. When I turn the activator on, those dimmers come on to the set levels. When I turn the activator off, those dimmers turn off again. That's what I'm seeing when I test it. So far, so good. Additionally, if I turn one of those dimmers off manually, I can see that the scene activator then gets turned off, because the scene is no longer fully active. Makes sense. So far, so good.

Now, the question is: What should the behavior be if my scene is one that just turns off a ton of lights? Because I'm not totally understanding what I see. Here's my steps I followed:

• Create a "Good Night" scene that turns off a bunch of lights. Make sure that "Ignore activate switch off?" is off.
  • Turn on the scene activator. I see that all my lights turn off. Good.
  • Now turn off the scene activator. The lights do not come back on. Hmmm, so that's different than scenes that turn lights on... But I can understand it. A scene that turns things off maybe should behave differently than a scene that turns things on.
  • However, what I don't understand is what happens if I manually turn one of the lights back on. The scene activator stays on. I had assumed it would turn itself off, because we are no longer in "Good Night" configuration. Am I misunderstanding how that part works?

The lights were defined as part of the scene. They were defined that if the scene is active, the light should be off. But when I turn them back on manually, the scene activator doesn't shut off, which is what confused me.

It should. I scenes that command lights to go off and when they are on the scene is no longer active. Can you show the scene?

I'll see if I can get screen captures when I get home. Thanks!

Ok, I tried a simpler version with just a couple lights. And it responded how I would expect. Which led me to discover that my “good night” routine had a 10 second transition time, which is why it appeared to be working weird in my earlier tests.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.