Check performance of hub

Is there any way to check the status of the hub to see what's using resources? (similar to a 'top' in Linux?)

I haven't made too many changes to my hub over the past week, but it is running fairly slow now. my dashboard takes a few seconds to load up instead of almost instant as it used to.

I think the most recent thing I added is the Echo Speaks app, which I'm assuming is maintaining a connection with my Amazon account, so I can understand that.

Would adding another hub and connecting through hubconnect help the response from my hub? Does it work like clustering in a virtual environment where I can transfer devices/rules between hosts but they're all accessible over the one cluster?

Short answer is no sadly there are nk tools available for resource monitoring. It has been requested and discussed extensively. Response from staff has been it would not provide useful information.

I'll try and dig up some links for you.

2 Likes

Here are a few posts I can find on the issue mentioned above (though the summary is accurate: we are unlikely to get such information and can only trust staff that this information is not generally actually helpful):

For this specific issue, you may have seen some tips you can use to make Dashboards load faster. If you haven't, here's a summary:

• Instead of "Use all devices," select only the specific devices you are using on that Dashboard
  • Make sure to remove or fix any "ghost" tiles (ones that point to a device that no longer exists, displaying something like "unknown")

HubConnect (or Link to Hub + Hub Link) allow you to "share" devices from one hub to another. You have to choose the specific device(s), and then on the other hub it's just another device you can use to automate (run commands on, read attributes from, etc.). People have different reasons for using multiple hubs, but your use case--or at least what I assume you are implying would be yours--is one: running custom code on one hub in case it runs awry, while keeping the other hub with likely "good" apps (e.g., stock apps) and some or all "real" (Z-Wave and Zigbee) devices, depending on how you wan to divide the rest of that up. Some people use multiple hubs for other reasons, e.g., because they have a ton of Z-Wave devices and perceive a performance benefit from splitting up the limited I/O of this protocol. Others segregate known "problem devices" to another hub, like most Zigbee bulbs. Some do a combination of these.

So to directly answer this question, nothing is inherently made available except that which you make available; you can do everything (all devices plus location mode) if you want, but I'd personally just choose the actual devices I need. If you keep one "coordinator" hub for Dashboards, Alexa, and whatnot, then you'd certainly need that hub to have any relevant devices, which I suppose might be almost everything regardless. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is known to cause issues with the hub. I moved that app to another hub then used hubconnect to mirror the echo devices I needed on other hubs... I have 4 but only use 3 for now.

As for system info Bruce has said he will not expose any of that info since he claims it would do no good to help. I disagree but it is what it is.

3 Likes

yea, i figured as much. i mainly got it to play around with, but i still use the notifications over using voice alerts. i might just remove it all together for now to get back the performance and add it back when i'm ready to start using more voice alerts

If you got some old tablets you could use the join

1 Like

I too found Echo speaks as part of my slowdown problems. I removed it and use google instead. It is faster now, but still subject to the hotly debated slowdowns/lags, that usually get blamed on the users' actions, despite it happening on hubs "all stock", ie: no custom apps or drivers.

2 Likes