Check hardware

How can I check the state of the hardware in my device? Example, the internal ssd drive state or temperature while running?

Is there some way to check if the hardware is faulty or running optimal? Maybe SSH in?

If only! But, sadly, no such access via any protocol and no way to see any of the "guts". In case you aren't aware there are some tools available on your hub's port 8081.

1 Like

Same answer from the other Topic.. put in a Support Ticket and let them look.

2 Likes

I guess my question would be what are you looking for? What will temperature tell you unless you know what is a normal temperature? Hot could just mean busy, not something being wrong. What ssd state are you looking to see? How full it is? Point is, I don’t think these data points would really teach you anything.

I should not need to open a support ticket to check my device. Seems counterproductive to be requesting something like this manually.

What I'm looking for? Is the SSD or micro drive or what ever the device is for using for storage in a proper good state. Make some memory check? I don't know, just the regular stuff or diagnose tool you would run on a device to see if everything is working.

I just gave Hubitat an idea then. Build some tools the user can run which check the hardware state. I want to know if I should invest creating things and data on my current one or buy a new one. I have no idea at this point if I just suffered software issues or its a more permanent problem (hardware) that will come back to bite me in the future.

A tool that checks this would be helpful to see its state.

1 Like

There is no internal SSD ....

Been requested before. The general gist of their statement was that these tools would be nearly worthless. The Hubitat runs inside of a Java container (if I understand things correctly), and so all you would see is that this process is running and nothing more. Or at least nothing where you could see that X, Y, or Z specifically was causing problems.

I mean microSD which is the same but smaller. It certainly has some sort of volatile memory inside otherwise you would not be able to save anything. If yes, they tend to be extremely weak when it comes to reads and writes. They die very, very quickly if you write logs or constant data to them.

It doesn't have a microSD either (what's a microSSD?).

It has an 8GB eMMC flash drive for storage.

3 Likes

I guess my point is whatever storage media they use... if it works the state is good. If it doesn’t the state is bad. And if it’s bad you wouldn’t be able to read a state to know it’s bad because... it’s bad.

3 Likes

I just added a fan to my C4. Since the heatwave my HE is running like garbage. I took it apart and the heat sinking is very poor engineering, only the CPU has a cheap foam pad on it. I'm told the hub is not overtaxed, but it does get hot, so lets see if fan helps

Well, heat is the enemy of electronics and I also live in a very hot and humid location. Now that you posted this, I have my device sitting flat on the table, that means all vent holes are covered which makes no sense but now I realized that. Going to turn it up side down I guess to let some air pass or drill some holes to the sides.

I can't read those chip numbers, but it surprises me that there are multiple chips without heat sinking material of any type. I would have thought that at least 1-2 others would have something.

It looks like the heat sink itself covers most of the area where the chips are located. It would be interesting to do some temp measurements of the various components and see if something else needs a pad.

Took the fan off. and measured the outside of the case with HE logo(C4 hub) got to over 102 F at certain locations, put the fan back and temps are around 88F.

If it's quality components, I don't think 102 should cause issues?

No, 102 F is low. Components will only start to die above 200.