Check contact and temperature sensors by voice

Hey

Is it possible to check the status of contact and temperature sensors connected to Hubitat by voice somehow? Alexa, Siri, Google Home?

I can't speak for Google Home, but for Alexa, yes. As of Hubitat hub firmware 2.2.2 (recently released), you can import contact sensors into the Alexa app and ask Alexa things like "is the living room window contact sensor open?" You will get a response like "Living room window contact sensor is not open." This assumes you live in a market where the Alexa skill for Hubitat is available (including the US; I'm not sure about Poland). The Echo App, which may be the only option for some people still, will not work for this.

For Siri, there is no native support. You would need something like HomeBridge (a couple different options for how to get there on the Hubitat side). That will get the sensor into HomeKit, and you can use Siri to query the status of those devices as well. This is, of course, not officially supported.

Thank you for your answer!
I need to check if Alexa skills are available.

Anyone knows something about Google Home?
For now I can see only one option - I would have to create virtual switch for every sensor in home and then ask my Google Home assistant to run virtual switch which would be configured to send message to my Google Home Mini with the status of the switch.. But it is not nice solution. I don't like it :frowning:

One other thing I should note: if you just want a status "report" (for multiple devices without having to ask about each individual one), I wrote a small app that does this for me. Maybe you'll find it useful as well:

This would work with Google Home since it doesn't rely on any Google-specific features--it will work with any TTS (or notification or both) device. By default this actually would not include Alexa, but there are a couple of community workarounds for that (which I am using and that is why a screenshot you see there has my announcement going through Alexa).

If you prefer a rule instead of third-party code, I also have an example there that would work to get the same outcome. I use one virtual switch for all devices I care about; unfortunately, either way (rule or app), you would probably need one for each if you care about them separately, as you mention.

Good luck!

1 Like

But it announces every time sensor change its status, right?
I am looking for some solution which allows me check the status of sensor on demand - just then when I want it.

No, mine announces only on demand--either at a specific time daily or whenever a specific switch turns on:

In the screenshot above, I'm using the "Speak Lock Status" switch, which I turn on as part of a "good night" automation I run before bedtime. (I would recommend making this a virtual switch and enabling the "auto off" timer feature so it's ready to turn back on later--basically making it a momentary switch.)

If you did want announcement any time a particular sensor changes, you don't need a rule or third-party code to do that. The built-in Notifications app can handle that.

It is awesome then :slight_smile:
I will check it for sure!

I only regret that Google Home routines doesn't work in Poland :confused:
I should move to US! :smiley:

I will have to create virtual switch "Speak Lock Status" (for example) and then tell my Google Home Mini speaker "Ok Google, turn on Speak Lock Status". It is not very natural :frowning:

But thank you very much for your help!