Cheap rPi UPS shield

My latest rPi enhancement.
Seems very good!

THB 574.11 48%OFF | Original 18650 UPS Pro Power Supply Device Extended Two USBA Port for Raspberry Pi 4 B / 3B+ /3B, Not Include 18650 Battery

Case? No way. I wouldn't want to hide this beautiful contraption and have it go up in smoke ha ha ha :joy:

3 Likes

I like the idea of this. I assume that you want to use this for the HE ?

My power can go out and then my HE is abruptly turned off as well. I once purchase the Konnected battery, but haven´t started using it as it really does not help because ideally you would like to be able to run the HE after a while when the power goes out and then turn it off gracefully if the UPS battery is low. Once power is restored, the UPS should turn it on again.

So would this work for that purpose ? If so, what OS and apps are there to set this up in that way ?

That is what I said when I built my first Pi cluster with 3D printed mounts and airflow guides. Too bad the darn thing melted down after an accidental change to the power and clocking values during a performance experiment.

Confirmed no blip during switch to battery power? like a true UPS.
Hopefully those are brand name high quality 18650's

I already have a single cell UPS device on the HE which works quite nicely (there are other posts in the forum about that cheap device DIY- Battery Backup Hubitat- under TEN bucks-NO soldering). This is just for my rPi although you can take additional power feeds out by the looks of it. But it powers the RPi using nice little spring loaded pins that directly connect with the RPi board, so no need for leads at all. It's really a cool design. This rPi runs Node-RED and Apache2 Web server for my custom dashboards.

Indeed, as mentioned I bought the Konnected battery so could potentially run the HE for a long time on that. But once the battery runs out, the HE will turn off abruptly which may cause issues. I was therefore hoping that this shield could power it (which it probably can) and work in the same way as a regular UPS in terms of shutting it down when it runs low on power. Of course that will leave the question of what to when the power comes back on :wink:

I have had my power shut off several times without any ill effects, so perhaps it isn´t even a problem, but better safe than sorry.

No, just execute a controlled shutdown at the appropriate time and this protects the HE (or in this case the RPi). You can calculate the UPS run time based on the current draw of the HE or RPi or just approximate it and shut the system down in good time using an automated rule.

Does this device send a signal when the power goes out?

No. You will need to use one of the various methods documented elsewhere on the forum for that and then execute a controlled shutdown of your device when appropriate if power remains out.

1 Like