Cheap reliable motion sensors?

I’ve been considering the same thing. I’ve recently bought a load of their switches to replace the Hue dimmers I had, and also get rid of a lot of smart bulbs.

All my window contacts and motion sensors are Xiaomi too. I then read that they had local execution, which is awesome! I’d love it if there was a way HubConnect could work with them directly rather than via Homebridge. I’ve had pretty much zero success with getting that working. But the Xiaomi hub is not out of the picture yet. I’ll have one more go at getting some stability, if it fails, I’ll be going for their hub :+1:

1 Like

Give @dan.t ‘s Maker API version of Homebridge a shot if you haven’t tried it. I gave up on Homebridge too, but then tried Dan’s version to get back some functions I was missing. To my joy, it was super easy to setup and very fast. Stability of HomeKit has still plagued some with it, but not me. It’s been a top performer in my house. I even added a HomeKit lock when the Z-Wave version wasn’t available at a Warehouse Deal price. Thought I might regret that decision, but it’s been a few weeks and it’s been working like a champ.

1 Like

If they don’t play ball, they’ll be going back on ST for now. Not great relying on the cloud again, but they were always solid on there.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions though. Much appreciated :+1:

1 Like

If I were to do any cloud solution it would be HomeKit over the rest.

Even with less fuctionality, I would trust their solution before any other cloud solution.

I believe Apple's HomeKit has quite a bit of local processing. Automations are run via the HomeKit hub (Apple TV, always on iPAD, or HomePod.) Things like device control and geopresence are are cloud based when not on the LAN (but that is the same as Hubitat.) Siri uses the cloud, of course.

Queue @SmartHomePrimer for more details on HomeKit... :wink:

1 Like

Correct. HomeKit is local, but some implementations require an initial connection to the cloud before the local HomeKit function can be enabled. Some examples of this are the Ecobee thermostat and the Xiaomi Aqara hub, which needs to be able to phone home to China before you can even setup WiFi! After Xiaomi connects to your WiFi and the Chinese government has logged your WiFi credentials, you can then block their connection back to their servers and it will run totally local. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I was just playing with home4. It’s a better HomeKit app that allows you to drill down into conditions.

I did some testing with automation and it works pretty good.

I’m surprised how much you can actually do with it.

Obviously it’s not as detailed as Hubitat.

It looks like you can link Alexa into homekit/homebridge....

*** motion lighting seems really dumb under HomeKit ***

1 Like

I’ve never heard of this app. Could you post a link please?

Ah, no wonder my search for home3 didn’t turn up anything! :joy: Thanks!

Sorry that was the name of the older version.

I updated my post.

$15 US and no trial? :confused:

How does this compare with EVE which is free?

No clue.

Never used it.

But it looks like this home app addresses the issues with motion lighting by using scenes and such..

1 Like

Give it a try. The rules can do a lot that the Apple Home app cannot. It’s HomeKit itself where most of the real limitations come in.

Since you’re familiar with Home + 4, I’d be interested to learn your perspective on Eve without spending $15 US on Home+4 and the possibility of discovering that it doesn’t do anything that Eve cannot do for free.

I briefly looked at it.

Looks like it can do the same stuff. I wouldn’t spend the money. The GUI is obviously different.

Maybe make a post on reddit with somebody that has a lot more hands on with both.

One thing regarding HomeKit. I’m not sure it uses the Lutron telnet connection to turn lights on or off for Lutron Caseta. It may reach out to the cloud ?

Also, I don’t see any options to dim over a course of time.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m fairly certain it doesn’t use Telnet. That option has to be enabled in the Caséta Pro bridge, and it’s not even an option on the regular bridge. Not sure how they do it. I’ve never set up HomeKit on my Lutron pro bridge. I use Hubitat’s integration, but it wouldn’t be too hard to test. Might give new users that don’t want to invest in a Caséta Pro Bridge, at least some level of integration if they already had the required components for HomeKit automations.

I don’t recall setting up HomeKit for my Lutron Smart Bridge Pro2...but it works very well. I honestly don’t know how all of those devices just magically appeared on my iPhone. :wink::thinking: HomeKit does require the Newer Smart Bridge or Smart Bridge Pro2, IIRC. The original Smart Bridge and Smart Bridge Pro didn’t support HomeKit, correct?

1 Like

I have grown to prefer the Iris v3 sensors for the extra battery life even though the v2s are a smidge faster. You can also convert them to run off AC power, which I've done for one of mine. These fit nicely inside a C2 battery compartment:

3 Likes

Ah, thanks for clarification on that. I thought it was an option for the non-pro bridge too.

Always learning. :wink:

I think the 2nd gen non-Pro Smart Bridge supports HomeKit...doesn’t it? :thinking:

Update: yep, the Lutron L-BDG2-WH Smart Bridge supports HomeKit. As does the Lutron Caseta L-BDGPRO2-WH - SmartBridge Pro2.

1 Like