Chatty smart plugs with energy monitoring - how many is too many?

Ah. I find a dirth of KP125 from a Candian perspective; mostly US vendors that's why I was asking.
Amazon.ca is full of the HS103 :frowning:

The ones with power/energy monitoring are KP115, KP125, and HS110. The HS103 will work with Hubitat, but only for on/off.

1 Like

I hope I'm not de-railing this convo, but has anyone used any of the energy-monitoring Kasa devices for "heavy duty" applications like a washing machine or dehumidifier? (Looking to track "laundry is done!" or on/off time for a dehumidifier, not actually switch it, but it obviously needs to be able to handle the heavy motor load going through it still.) Both of these appliances for me are on a standard 15A US circuit and technically within the 1800W rating of the device, but they look tiny and the motor load has me worried. I can't find more detailed specs for these particular devices--just the "1800W" spec. Not sure if anyone has any experience or can point to more detailed docs.

1 Like

3-4 years ago, I used the HS110 to monitor a portable A/C - so similar load to a dehumidifier. It handled it with no issue.

2 Likes

Modern washers actually don't consume that much power. If you look at their specs, you'll see power requirements numbers like 10A or 12A. Even then, the max load would not be constant and happen only during spin cycle, so you should be good.
And your dehumidifier is consuming less than 1000W, and most likely less than 500W.
The mechanical relays that are inside these plugs may be small, but they are rated for 16A @ 277VAC.

1 Like

Does all of the kasa line work on Hubitat?

I see the KP 125 being recommended, but TP Link makes 3 plugs that monitor power, so is the KP125 preferred for some reason? Or we just like only the newest version?

See @aaiyar 's response above

KP115 and KP125 are smaller in profile than the HS110, permitting the use of the second outlet of a wall receptacle. KP115 is not HomeKit compatible, but KP125 is. Therefore, it is easy to get the KP125 onto the network without using the Kasa app - using either the Apple Home app, or Home Assistant.

1 Like

I believe so, at least all the current products seem to be supported by the community integration.

Could someone confirm if the following work with the Kasa integration?

KP 200 wall outlet
KS 200M motion switch
HS 200 switch
HS 220 dimmer
Any of the KL lighting series

Thanks in advance.