Changing Weather

Progress Update...

Thanks to the idea from @SmartHomePrimer, I have located the 'Interceptor' driver which works with my PWS and weewx
(@homeauto2112 I think it will also work for you as we seem to have the same PWS - PM me!)

So.. I've got it all up and running with my station pushing to a Raspberry Pi, running Weewx, which is also now, (Thanks to a script provided @JHoke and his help) producing the data in the correct JSON format

Now I have my own API server I can call on for data (which is produced by my PWS)

I have started working on a port of my driver to pull the data into Hubitat - So far, so good!

I'll keep you posted!

Andy

3 Likes

Excellent! I'm still struggling with getting weewx to run when I have that driver selected. Have reached out to the google group for help. If I can't get this running on Mac OS, do you think a Pi Zero W would be sufficient?

Pi Zero could do ... you will run into issues long term without the ability to (easily) add a real time clock though ... and your limiting the horsepower you have for generating images, reports etc if you needed to...

I think they are recommending a Pi2 or 3 min ... but check the docs @ weewx.com

1 Like

In the case anyone is curious/interested ... simple write up is here:

Its pretty straight forward, but I have only tested this on my install (and Cobras now) on a Raspberry Pi ... any other folks game to test ?

Once it's all configured I can probably make a disk image for the Pi and host it somewhere.
I would just have to anonymise it and write a doc to convert for metric/imperial

I'm trying to configure a combination of both right now (Celsius with MPH) which is what we tend to use in the UK

I have to say though.. this is brilliant! - Now poll limits and ALL local :slight_smile:

Andy

1 Like

One better - you could simply use weeWX Rsync service to copy the JSON to a public server when its published (its what I am doing for another project)

the rsync module is conf'd in /etc/weewx/weewx.conf

:slight_smile:

I'm currently using weewx to ftp all my weather data to an online host I have... works well

Not pretty yet (still default) but...

http://securendpoint.com/weather

1 Like

@JHoke, just tried to setup the json file from you blog. Some notes...

Step 1 went well. Only difference for me is that I used nano instead of vi. For the non-programmer (me), vi is maddening! Way over complicated and very confusing. Nano is much more user friendly and easy to use. But great to have options.

Step 2. 'search for the RSS stanza'...What's a Stanza? :smile: Took me a bit to find this but figured it out. Again, non-programmer here.

'run wee_reports'...Ok, how? lol. I tried to type in just that...run wee_reports and it came back with 'bash: run: command not found'

and then I came to ' http://<your raspberry’s IP>/weewx/daily.json'. So I put it into my browser as 'http://localhost/weewx/daily.json' and instead of bringing up the file (was hoping to see the data, kinda like a xml file), it loaded up the webCoRE dashboard that I have running on the same Rpi.

That last one seems to be a problem for a few others on different threads about the web server always bringing up webcore instead of any other webpage one might be using. Going to have to dig a little on that one.

All in all, it seems like a great first step to get the data ready for @Cobra app/driver to read. Thanks to both of you for working on this!

After the uproar they received they extended the end of service by an additional 6 months.

https://www.acurite.com/blog/extending-end-of-service-and-support-for-acurite-smarthub.html

1 Like

Thanks for that update Bob! Gives me some additional time to get weeWX working with my Acurite bridge.

1 Like

they extended it for a year... that extension was written back in Feb 2018 and expires in Feb 2019.

1 Like

Yep. I'm slow in certain areas :wink:

1 Like

Hey there .. let me take these one at a time...

nano vs vi vs emacs ... religious war not going there :slight_smile: I may go and change it to "editor of choice"
I am using WeeWX terms for sections, I will update to search for [[[RSS]]] and add this after

In regards to the issues with running webcore on the same pi - that is beyond the scope of this... I do it, but I do it using a different port for my Webcore install. Webcore as you may recall, needs to be in the root of a webserver, so it can screw up other installs - you could do this using symbolic links, but then again its beyond the scope of the write up

1 Like

Only for accurite though ... so those of us using say Davis Instruments need to jump soon IIRC

Indeed, this is unrelated to the Weather Underground API issue that started us down this path. Acurite users have the same issue as others in that regard.

That letter also says nothing about WU upload service, which in their previous statement they said they would be cutting off on August 31, 2018. With the WU licensing changes, that part may still happen, and that would leave me with only the My Acurite website, which I could care less about. It's a portal for configuring the bridge to me. I don't use it or their app for weather conditions.

I'm encourage that there is a working solution for my bridge and the Interceptor author has already responded on the Google Group and is helping me toward resolving my issue hopefully. If not, the RPi weeWX install is known to work straight away.

I installed Apache on the weewx RPi and set it to port 800
This is the port I’m using to collect data from (daily.json)
Maybe doing this would ease the webcore pain
(And I use ‘nano’ too :slight_smile:)

This is the output from my webserver:

{
"title":"Current Values",
"location":"South Hetton",
"time":"24/05/18 20:30:00",
"lat":"54° 47.88' N",
"lon":"001° 24.41' W",
"alt":"100 meters",
"hardware":"observer",
"uptime":"0 days, 8 hours, 1 minute",
"serverUptime":"0 days, 8 hours, 1 minute",
"weewxVersion":"3.8.0",
"stats": {
"current": {
"outTemp":"9.1°C",
"windchill":"9.1°C",
"heatIndex":"9.1°C",
"dewpoint":"8.4°C",
"humidity":"95%",
"insideHumidity":"53%",
"barometer":"1008.5 mbar",
"barometerTrendDelta":"3 hours",
"barometerTrendData":"-0.3 mbar",
"windSpeed":"0.3 m/s",
"windDir":"305°",
"windDirText":"NW",
"windGust":"1.1 m/s",
"windGustDir":" N/A",
"rainRate":"0.0 mm/hr",
"UV":"0.0",
"ET":"0.0 mm",
"solarRadiation":"0 W/m²",
"insideTemp":"19.0°C"
},
},
"almanac":{
"sun":{
"startCivilTwilight":"02:53:05",
"sunrise":"03:44:36",
"transit":"12:02:27",
"sunset":"20:21:19",
"endCivilTwilight":"21:13:14",
"azimuth":"311.6°",
"altitude":"-1.0°",
"rightAscension":"61.6°",
"declination":"20.9°",
"equinox":"23/09/18 01:54:09",
"solstice":"21/06/18 10:07:23"
},
"moon":{
"rise":"14:06:15",
"transit":"20:30:47",
"set":"02:21:15",
"azimuth":"179.8°",
"altitude":"35.5°",
"rightAscension":"188.7°",
"declination":"0.2°",
"fullMoon":"29/05/18 14:19:32",
"newMoon":"13/06/18 19:43:13",
"phase":"First quarter",
"fullness":"78%"
}
}
}

Driver taster...

Still ironing out the kinks and collecting all the data

1 Like

Curious...how did you set apache and/or weewx to port 800?

thanks

Weewx dumps its files into a folder..

I configured apache to use the same folder as it’s root then changed the port it listens on
The port is configured in a config file in the apache folder

Andy