Changing Weather

Showed up around 3pm EDT. Not sure what that was all about. A weather station delayed by weather! :rofl:

Installed yesterday. Weather cooperated and it was tested straight away. Shifting wind and then 19.8 mm of rain since last night. All working well.

Dug in today to get weewx setup and I'm stumbling again. Started from scratch with Weewx and Apache, becuase I forgot to write down what the debian password for the image I had backed up :crazy_face: Loaded Matthew Wall's weewx-interceptor driver, but found that I needed to be able to forward from the ObserverIP bridge to Weewx, and that wasn't possible on my bridge firmware since Ambient Weather has removed the ability to telnet. So I reverted the firmware to where telenet was enabled, setup forwarding to the IP of my RPi, but now I'm confused about the various information out there. Not sure where to go next.

How did you do it? You have the same bridge, albeit different firmware.

According to these instructions which I know your aware of because you posted them before, I just setup forwarding to the pi and it works (only for me, it doesn't work). What step am I missing?

There are these instructions too, but they seem to use a different method, rather than the interceptor driver.

I have made a Pi image with it all comfigured if you would like a copy
If not you will need to use my json file if you want to use my weewx/apixu driver

Have,you checked that the data is going to weewx?
I’ll dig out the command to see the live logging in a ssh console on the Pi if you need it

Andy

Did some digging, issue is port in use.

sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog

Gives back

Jul 22 23:07:21 raspberrypi weewx[1678]: interceptor: MainThread: listen on :80
Jul 22 23:07:21 raspberrypi weewx[1678]: import of driver failed: [Errno 98] Address already in use (<class 'socket.error'>)
Jul 22 23:07:21 raspberrypi weewx[1678]: engine: Unable to load driver: [Errno 98] Address already in use
Jul 22 23:07:21 raspberrypi weewx[1678]: **** Exiting...

Found this in the weewx google groups, but he looses me on the last part.

'address in use' means that some other process is using the port that you have specified. there is probably a web server running on port 80 already, so the interceptor is unable to listen on that port. either shut down the web server, or configure the interceptor to listen on a different port and install a reverse proxy or cgi or other solution on the web server to direct the traffic to the interceptor driver.

Is your machine already running as a web server?
If so port 80 is probably already in use.

By "your machine", do you mean the ObserverIP bridge? If so, yes I believe it is in order to publish to the ambientweather.net dashboard.

No , I meant the machine running weewx

Just installed weewx and then the apache server which publishes to 80, so yes. But that's a know config, why wouldn't that be accounted for in his setup. Matthew wrote "there is probably a web server running on port 80". Well, yes of course there is.

Aha!
You need to change the port that apache is running or it interferes with weewx
I set mine to run on 800 by default by editing the apache config files but Bryan @bptworld did it another way

Unfortunately, it’s 00;40 am here so I can’t go and check my pc (using my iPad now)
I can have a look in the morning for you

Andy

No worries. I found that, but probably changed it to another conflicting port. I'll try 800.
Thanks Andy. Have a good rest.

Just to add a little bit of knowledge into the mix...

One instance of Apache is able to host hundreds of websites. Certainly two wouldn’t be a struggle. :smile::smile:

However, because of that ability, adding a 2nd website can be difficult.

You can do it at least two different ways, 1) Addressing: either another IP or another port. 2) host: the single IP and port can serve a thousand websites as long as something is unique. In this method, the name in the URL is used to direct Apache to the correct web content.

Thus:
Joe.example.com & Fred.example.com can resolve to the same IP and use the same port, but within the Apache config, the two names are defined and what directory is the “base” of the web content.

The problem for most home users is needing a DNS to resolve the URL host.

For this reason, it’s going to be faster to either move Apache’s default port or add a 2nd IP address.

I’m attempting to be a billboard along the road that says “there is another way” for someone coming along and reading this far, in a week, month or a year.

1 Like

Thanks. I've tried changing to port 800 and that takes care of the conflict, but I don't get any data in weewx. I've even tried Andy's preconfigued image and I don't get new data with it either. I only see his last readings from when he created the image.

I'm now guessing I'm not getting data from my ObserverIP bridge, even though I've set its firmware to forward to my RPi IP address. Anyone know how I can tell if it's sending data to the IP I think it's sending to?

Note: After I changed the firmware with setdsthn [My Pi IP Address], rather than the default rtupdate.wunderground.com, I'm still getting publishing to Weather Underground. Is there anyone here that's made this change, and if so can you confirm if this is right, or should I not be getting WU updates if the ObserverIP firmware setting had worked as expected?

If you setup the weewx config file to send it’s data to wu then yes you would still get the data sent
If not, then you should not see any new data in wu

If you can’t manage to reconfigure your observerip then I would use dns to redirect the data to
Weewx
Do you have a dns server on your home network or just your isp router?
Even if you only have the isp router then you can still sometimes make dns redirections (depends on the router config abilities)

Andy

Btw
If any data is being sent to weewx you should be able to see it in the syslog

I have four active routers, two spares and a Synology DS115, so there are options. Might need assistance setting that up though. Tried to follow instructions in the past and didn’t get anywhere. However, that was also with the Acurite bridge, so that may have been the real issue at that time.

Problem I’m facing is I’m just not positive that the ObserverIP is forwarded. I’m going to see if I can re-flash the firmware later today. Maybe it’s corrupt. Hopefully it’ll let me flash the same version again, but I might have to downgrade further and then move back up. Hope I don’t brick it in the process.

I finally got this working (mostly). I ended up using Pat O'Brien's instructions for setting up a router in-between the ObserverIP bridge and my main router, together with your Pi Image, and it works now. Except, I cannot get updates for WU. I entered PWSWeather credentials and that works just fine, but no WU updates.

Unfortunately, the router method also cuts off uploads to Ambientweather.net, and I really wanted to keep that active as well. If I can get WU working and figure out how to make a mobile friendly weather dashboard that looks as good as Ambient Weathers's, then it won't be a big deal, as long as I can also use the weather data in HE with RM and for queries. I still have the Personal Weather Alexa Skill, but need to have WU updates working for that to function too.

@SmartHomePrimer
Do you have a weather underground api key?
If so then I’m currently testing a new version of the driver that combines pws and wu data (for forecasts etc) (or apixu - you can select which one you want to use)
Also, weewx should be able to upload to wu directly without problems.
I upload my data via ftp to one of my websites for external use. It’s currently just using the default ‘skin’ but there are a lot around on the net to make it look better - I just haven’t had time to investigate properly.
My wu key still seems to be working so I thought I would use that until it stops then use my apixu key after that

Andy

Yeah I have a key. Expires in July of 2019, and then of course I won't be renewing since the free option will be unavailable when it expires.

Not sure why only the WU upload isn't working. I entered my Station ID and Station Key for the password. Put it in quotes as the suggested to avoid parsing errors, but it doesn't work. I put the PWSWeather password in quotes and that works just fine.

I believe the way to enter it used to be Station ID and your WU account password, instead of your station key, but that method was changed some time ago. Is Weewx still using the old method? Everything else that I've put my WU station into uses the Station ID and Station Key.

Time to do much more with this is short for me as well right now. I'm poking at it here and there at the end of the day.

Yes it can, if you remember to uncomment the station and password fields! :blush:

1 Like

After all this struggle with my issues getting this going, I'm going to use the Custom WU driver for the next year too! :crazy_face: I just really like the Ambientweather.net dashboard, and it's ready to go. When I force port 80 of the IP Observer bridge through Weewx, I lose that connection. This way I can just take my time to learn about alternate skins and still get the functionality through HE. Thank you very much for the work you've put into this and all the help to get me here Andy!

Maybe a solution will come along for getting Ambientweather.net user data to into HE. There's an Ambientweather.net to PWSWeather node project, so even a PWSWeather to HE would work if it becomes an option in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.