Chamberlain MyQ Garage Door Support [OUT OF DATE]

That's what I thought. I was hoping there was a way around it.

Oh well. Thanks for your help.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

I'm just in the process of migrating from Vera to Hubitat... so some of this is a little new to me.

That said, I'm wondering why you don't use the door status direct from the MyQ interface, rather than requiring the additional sensor... every MyQ system I've seen has required a sensor on the door / device to indicate whether it's open or closed...

Because that information is not publicly accessible from the Chamberlain servers. This app uses a method that was "sniffed out" by a user to control the door. The only way to use the openers own sensor is to run a "fake" of the Chamberlain servers locally to get the opener to think it's talking to the main servers. It is not easy to use and it is fraught with problems from what i was able to discern on the github page dedicated to the project.

Chamberlain wants you to play I think $10-$12 a year to use their service with 3rd parties. In order to have that capability, you'd have to pay. Linking Google to Chamberlain requires a payment, for example.

This is a workaround (requiring no payment) and thus limited in what it can do.

Interesting thoughts.

This Vera Plug-In doesn't require payment (and likely uses the same API approach as the one here):
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,24715.885.html

There's also an OpenHAB binding that maintains status just fine:

I haven't had opportunity to dig in to the Groovy language yet, so I don't have anything to contribute other than knowledge of these other sources. If nobody implements them before I get to that stage, I'll likely see what I can do.

The information is actually there in the json replies to use the myq sensors. The problem is that you have to keep polling the servers to get an update on the door. Some of the implementations use this.

Myq didn’t like this in the smartthings app because it put a lot of load on their servers so they asked them to disable it. It could also be that they also wanted to charge for this which I hate because the ifttt and Echo implementations were restricted on some features.

If you really wanted to and knew groovy you could get this working but I found it to be much more reliable if you used a separate sensor. The response time is a lot faster and more reliable as the sensor updates the hub as soon as a change is detected. Also it doesn’t put the extra strain on the hub to constantly poll the server for the status with http requests.

Currently I use the xiaomi tilt sensors and they are working perfectly for me since last year. I just stick them under the myq sensor.

The documentation on the OpenHab plugic has a polling rate of a minute max. That isn't fast enough response IMHO. I prefer the separate sensor approach.

1 Like

A minute really is enough if you're considering between requests. It could easily poll a bit more frequently (every 5sec) for a minute or so after a request is made to know whether it did go up or down.

The separate sensor is an interesting approach, but it seems like a waste of money on the sensor and future battery replacements, etc.

That's only if the request to open the door comes from openhab or hubitat. What if the local button is used to open the door instead? Hubitat wouldn't know that the door was open then at all.

Also, in terms of security, the garage door opener only knows if the opener was used to open the door. A contact sensor would also detect if the door was opened by using the chain release, which is the easiest way to defeat a garage door opener.

1 Like

Not for up to a minute, correct.

by the way....a zip tie solves this issue without sacrificing safety.

1 Like

When someone is breaking into my home. I want my system to alarm when it happens, which may hopefully scare them away. Instead of giving them 60 seconds to go through my garage/cars.

And in that case, you should probably have a separate sensor, one with supervision and more reliability than the MyQ system could ever give you.

I don't use my HA unit for an alarm. Just too many unknowns. I have a separate monitored alarm system that also has a sensor on the overhead garage door.

Depends. If you're using the MyQ Garage system, it knows the state of the door by a tilt sensor that looks almost identical to the tilt sensor installed by Vivint.

Just a note, it gives this message at the end of setting up:

Your SmartApp version (3.0.2) is not the latest version (2.1.9)

Your MyQ Door device version (2.2.5) is not the latest version (2.2.4)

Just ignore it. It's querying the original ST author's version check data.

No, it doesn't. I have a MyQ unit that has no tilt sensor.
Actually, I can't seem to find any myq unit that has a tilt sensor. Do you have a model number?

I’m guessing you’re talking about an opener with myq integrated. The myq add-on device uses tilt sensors.

You'll note I said "MyQ Garage" -- that's their product name for the "make a dumb garage door opener into a slightly smarter MyQ Internet-connected one" product.

And better than a product number. A product link: