Ceiling mount/housing options for Hubitat hub

Nah all good, will just turn the screws the opposite direction than the northern hemisphere when mounting it :wink:

2 Likes

Very interested if you decided to print one. I haven't got into the 3D printing tech yet.
I was very confident that someone would have already done this but was surprised when I couldn't find any references on here.

Lots of choices on that thingiverse site after I dug around a bit. I believe there are 3D printing services you could send the file from below to have them print it for you.

Yeah, if I had any skills with 3D software, I'd look at some of the recessed mounts for dots and things and see if they could be adapted.

Hey if we find a design, I'll print it! I just haven't found one yet that suits.

I'm pretty sure the mail can find Aussieland too, so thats no real barrier!

S

This thread got into a few things but one of the outcomes was my wall mount (posted on Thingiverse for people to print). That can easily hold one on a ceiling (I can shake mine around without it slipping free).

The Ubiquiti AP is a great idea also. I just gutted two EOL ones (a square and circle) and was planning on putting a sensor up in there (was hoping to figure out a way for the LED ring to be useful also). Putting a Hubitat in could work well.

Does the wall mount work with the C7? That seems a bit better than the one I printed before.

I wonder if I could find a dead UAP AC Pro on ebay, it would break my heart to gut a working one! Lol

You know, come to think of it, a NEST Protect might be a good shell too.

S.

Turn it upside down, add a dome over that that extends out 50mm around with a 10mm gap from the ceiling. Would be perfect!

1 Like

I hear you! have an older AP LR (not AC) that is in my shed. Could do without it but such a waist. Had a look on ebay AU without any luck.

1 Like

I found a couple as-is ones on eBay. Another shell that could work is just about any old smoke detector though.

The mounts will fit the C-7. No difference in size from the C-5. Besides, I put one of my C-7s into one of my mounts. :smiley:

2 things to consider. One is ventilation as already mentioned. The other is that if you have high ceilings it is warm up there especially in summer . I would prefer to take steps to strengthen the mesh or alternatively have a second hub connected by hubmesh.

I also wonder about how the radio will work attached to a ceiling rather than sitting on a desk or bookshelf, etc. I've no idea if attaching it to a ceiling will make the hub radio less efficient, but I would guess that none of the testing that HE ever completed has been done w/hubs attached to a ceiling.

My Unifi AP is on my ceiling,but it's designed to be mounted that way...the HE hub is not.

I've mounting larger hubs on a wall. I used a small piece of plexiglass either screwed to the ceiling or using command strips.
Then velcro from the hub to the plexiglass (for easy removal)

The old VeraPlus hub stayed in that position for a couple of years....until the Hubitat hub took it down :slight_smile:

Nah. The antennas in the hub are essentially, if not actually, omnidirectional. You might find a difference in the links if you could measure any two links in a direct comparison...but really that would be hard to evaluate, as the lines of sight (obscura) are going to be different from the countertop or closet vs the ceiling anyway.

But, at the end of the day, you could likely set the hub "top" down on a table and the signals would be just as good as they were before on any given link.

Now, if you set it on a Metal tabletop, or put it in a room with Lots of metal obstructions...well, thats an entirely different issue!

S.

1 Like

Thanks... :slight_smile:

I guess the antennas on devices like the Unifi APs are more directional, I've seen comments in the Unifi forums about it beeing better to mount them "as intended" (e.g., don't put a ceiling mount AP on a wall, and vice-versa).

What I'd really like is a "visible spectrum" option so I could watch the radio signals from my hub in real time. That would be interesting... :smiley:

Yeah, I suspect, except in certain cases like the dish type point to point antennas, thats BS.

If you put a unifi on the ceiling on the middle floor of a 2 story house, then go stand right above it, say a foot or two off center, I think you'll find that the EIRP is almost identical (minus path loss due to building materials and free space) to the EIRP if you were standing in a similar position below the antenna.

Sure the metal mounting structure inside the UAP might affect it at certain angles, but its not because Ubiquiti did any expensive antenna magic. Certainly not @ < $300 per device. Having said that, I've never taken one apart...perhaps @snell saw a fancy phased array antenna in there....lol

A spectrum analyzer would be cool for sure, but I dunno if it would tell us much!

S

1 Like

Actually, here is what an older Unifi AP-Pro board looks like, with a fair amount of damage of course. 6 of those small metal antennas I think.

Then here is a C-7... I broke the MicroUSB port and have not been able to reliably solder it together again...

What did you end up doing regarding the ceiling mount? I just bought a new house and a ceiling mount is also the only thing that makes sense to me. Also hope to find a PoE splitter to steal electric from the CAT6 cable so I don't have to patch into some 120VAC circuit. Thx

Found the C7 can go wireless and it works great! Let's me move the C7 around to add devices using my battery pack as well. Nice!

1 Like

Hey @dave7 Looks like the new C8 may make this requirement obsolete. :person_shrugging:

1 Like