Caseta + Pico + SmartBridge Pro

I have never noticed a significant delay doing this. Things might have a very slight delay when using the Enhanced Pico driver (to get the extra button actions), but the Fast Pico driver is very quick when used.

The hallway light is the Fast Pico, and the dining room is the Enhanced Pico.

1 Like

I absolutely have a noticeable delay. It is actually bad enough that in the beginning, I was sure that the command wasn't sent.

Just to confirm, you are triggering your Caseta light switches using Pico remotes and this is all happening through HE and not through the Lutron App.

It appears to be happening quite fast in the logs, but I can tell you that I can count to 1 sometimes 2 before anything happens.

Correct through the Hubitat. I'm using the community based Advanced Button Controller app.

My delay is pretty much imperceptible. You push the button, and about the time you pull you finger off from the Pico, the lights are starting to dim (all mine are dimmers).

Is this possibly a basic networking (ethernet/router/switch) problem? I have a pretty whacky networking setup, but the two things I made sure were on the same network switch are the Hubitat and the Lutron.

I don't know what could be happening then. I've heard of other having this problem as well so I never really bothered to look into it further,

When I activate Caseta light switches through the Caseta App, it is instantaneous. Same when I activate them through Hubitat. It's only when I use the Picos to control other Caseta switches through HE that I run into an issue.

I will also note again that when I use the Picos to activate NON-Lutron products, ti is also instantaneous. So this is truly a Pico -> SmartBridge -> HE -> Smart Bridge -> Caseta issue.

Are you sure you ALSO don't have the Picos paired to the switches via the Lutron App?

Very sure. Here is the dining room, there is a similar one for the hallway.

For anyone who wants to do some more reading, I've found the previous post I was talking about earlier.

I recall reading that thread. And I looked it over again, but didn't see conclusive proof that there is a bug or something in this app.

It doesn't seem to affect everyone, there are only a few complaints about this, not some widespread thing like today's ever popular topic - Zwave issues.

So I wonder what is different about yours (and a few others) Lutron installation. Again that brings me back to something unique to your installation like network issues, or maybe some other hub slowdown problem or another app consuming resources.

Have you ever done a "hub statistics" and see if something is chewing up hub resources?

I don't know about Hub Statistics. Is that a Built-in or User App?

Also, I wanted to make sure my delay problem is clear...

1. Pico -> SmartBridge -> HE -> Zwave or Zigbee (no issues)
  2. Zwave or Zigbee -> HE -> Smart Bridge -> Caseta (no issues)
  3. Pico -> Smartbridge -> HE -> Smart Bridge -> Caseta (major delay)

It is a hidden menu. Here is a good overview. Instead of reinventing the wheel here, let me link you to a post by Lewis.

I would run these for a while, the 5 minutes is OK, but may not be a large enough sample to see what is going on.

Post your log here and we can see if we spot anything unusual.

Yep, that is exactly how I have the two devices I show above are handled. I even put the button controller screenshot above to prove that is what I am doing.

I believe this same question was pasted in the following thread, but not sure if @Eric.C.Miller ever successfully tested the two SmartBridge Pro concept...

1 Like

Here are the Device Stats for the last 5 minutes. I made sure to go use the Picos during that time as well.

Device Stats enabled: true
Device stats start time: 1607980589348
Device stats total run time: 365787
device id 34 runcount 43 total runtime 640 average run time 14.8837209302
device id 1005 runcount 5 total runtime 60 average run time 12
device id 1153 runcount 24 total runtime 13302 average run time 554.25
device id 1154 runcount 11 total runtime 19 average run time 1.7272727273
device id 1004 runcount 6 total runtime 136 average run time 22.6666666667
device id 10 runcount 18 total runtime 71 average run time 3.9444444444
device id 24 runcount 10 total runtime 116 average run time 11.6 (this device is controlled by a Pico)
device id 25 runcount 8 total runtime 131 average run time 16.375 (this device is controlled by a Pico)
device id 169 runcount 3 total runtime 48 average run time 16
device id 292 runcount 5 total runtime 15 average run time 3
device id 258 runcount 4 total runtime 44 average run time 11
device id 769 runcount 16 total runtime 337 average run time 21.0625
device id 260 runcount 12 total runtime 75 average run time 6.25
device id 1008 runcount 3 total runtime 109 average run time 36.3333333333
device id 1011 runcount 1 total runtime 8 average run time 8
device id 1009 runcount 1 total runtime 20 average run time 20
App Stats enabled: true
App stats start time: 1607980589355
App stats total run time: 365790
app id 115 runcount 11 total runtime 171 average run time 15.5454545455
app id 965 runcount 38 total runtime 8389 average run time 220.7631578947
app id 967 runcount 3 total runtime 135 average run time 45
app id 4 runcount 36 total runtime 626 average run time 17.3888888889
app id 904 runcount 9 total runtime 481 average run time 53.4444444444
app id 109 runcount 5 total runtime 112 average run time 22.4
app id 108 runcount 5 total runtime 121 average run time 24.2
app id 747 runcount 8 total runtime 7961 average run time 995.125
app id 577 runcount 4 total runtime 347 average run time 86.75
app id 5 runcount 1 total runtime 6 average run time 6
app id 5 runcount 22 total runtime 184 average run time 8.3636363636
app id 612 runcount 4 total runtime 820 average run time 205
app id 613 runcount 4 total runtime 935 average run time 233.75
app id 483 runcount 1 total runtime 264 average run time 264

You have more than a few devices and apps that are really chewing resources. These are really bad, but not the only ones. What are these?

I would take a longer sample too (30 minutes or so), just to see if this changes any.

And another Lewis thread that explains things well.

I do not recognize these device IDs at all!

They are way to high to be anything on my hub, but yet there they are.

Any advice on how I run those devices down?

Well they are on your hub. This is what is currently running.

You can either browse your individual devices, or go to (your hub's IP)/device/edit/1153

The AppID is similar, (your hub's IP)/installedapp/configure/(insert app number here )/mainPage

FYI

• Runcount is how many times that device has been triggered during the collection.
  • Total runtime is time in milliseconds that all of the runtimes added up to.
  • Average runtime is the average runtime for each triggered execution on the device.

Ahhh, ok, found it.

1153 is an Amazon Echo Flex.
965 is a Somfy Shade
747 throws back an error.

Ok so acknowledge that these devices are eating resources, but I do have to point out that his problem started way before any of these devices entered my mesh. The problem is about 1yre old and these devices are only 1 month old (approx).

But yes, still something to look at.

I would see if you can somehow optimize these apps, or maybe pause the app or device just to see what happens.

I recognize that you have had issues with this before adding these devices, but you can never quite tell if they might be making it worse unless you try a few things.

The stuff you labeled as Lutron was only 11 and 16 milliseconds, so there is no appreciable delay in that particular part of the code.

What is the app ID of your Lutron hub? You can browse to the app itself and see the ID in the address bar of the browser.

I will ask again though, what does your home network look like? Are the Hubitat and Lutron hubs on the same network switch or router? They have reserved addresses? What brand/model is your networking equipment?

Yep, that one was reported as a DEVICE

I believe these two showed up as APPS, so you'll need to use a different URL to look those two up.

2 Likes