Caseta Non-Pro

Everything I can find on the forum is for the Pro bridge. I understand that I need the pro bridge to intgegrate my picos. But just to integrate my Dimmers through my normal Lutron bridge, I cannot find any information. Is this possible or only with a Pro bridge?

Correct. Hubitat connects to Lutron SmartBridge Pro via telnet. This feature is not supported on the non-pro SmartBridge.

I understand that. But there is no integration with the standard smart bridge?

There is no integration with the non-pro SmartBridge. Integrations with it are cloud based, while Hubitat is local wherever feasible.

Tip: Energy Avenue has very good prices for the SmartBridge Pro.

https://www.energyavenue.com/Lutron/L-BDGPRO2-WH

3 Likes

Thanks...but that has another $9 for shipping (~$96). Amazon has the pro bridge with dimmer switch and pico for only $135. So, when you factor that in..., it makes a little more sense to do that. I mean, If I'm going to invest in the pro bridge I'm going to have a bunch of pico's too. In for a penny, in for a pound. For now I'll just control them through Hublink until I decide whether the HE will stick around or be relegated to the Drawer of Regretful Purchases. :wink:

Yea, that’s a decent price. When I bought my Caseta SmartBridge Pro2, they were a lot more expensive on Amazon.

1 Like

Surely, the ST hub is destined for your drawer! Local rules, cloud drools...

4 Likes

LOL...it's just that a lot of the stuff that I had planned out to just work right out of the box is failing completely. And I haven't even gotten to the stuff that I have no idea how to get to work. So, it's not looking good. I mean, I like tinkering but I have been working on this thing for 7 hours and I have nothing working yet. Not sure I want to invest this kind of time.

When I look back on ST, I invested way more time getting stuff to work in the first place, and then a ton more time figuring out how to keep it working (which it never did). Moving to Hubitat may seem a little daunting because you've already invested that time with ST over some months, and now you're wanting to jump like bang, it's all moved and working in Hubitat.

Here's the thing: for the two years that my house was on ST, my wife grew to hate it, and WAF was a real issue. Then I moved everything to Hubitat almost a year before the product launched. She immediately could tell that it stopped failing, started being reliable and WAF went way up. WAF has been up so much since then that she doesn't even mind much that I do development work on our home system sometimes, and "experiment" with things a bit, or constantly am loading updates as we work through new builds.

Many of our first bunch of customers here will tell you a similar tale.

But, if your system is made up of exotic custom drivers and custom apps, you're going to have some work to do. My ST system was made up entirely of custom apps --> they all became built-in apps in Hubitat. The only custom drivers I had were Lutron. I had built an integration in ST for the original classic RadioRA system (used 9600 baud via ThingShield and Arduino). That gave way to using Telnet on a helper machine and replacing the old RadioRA with RadioRA2. Before we moved from ST to Hubitat, at one point I had old RadioRA, RadioRA2, Z-Wave and Zigbee all running on ST. Moving the Lutron part of the system took under an hour. Moving 75 Z-Wave devices took me a day, and moving the Zigbee stuff took me many weeks due to lack of drivers. That's when Send Hub Events came along as a stopgap.

4 Likes

Oh, I definitely hear you. WAF wasn't a factor in my decision it was the unreliability of my internet service that started to get me. One Sunday afternoon not too long ago I lost my internet and rather than leave the house and deal with all the things that ST did for me automatically, I actually waited for the internet to come back to leave. Now, it was only an hour, but it got me to thinking that as I get more and more things built into this system, it's just not going to be feasible to rely on Spectrum to be working to have everything in my system working. That's what clinched it for me (plus the sale on the hubs :slight_smile: ).

Most of my devices are actually ST_Anything (Hubduino) devices thanks to much assistance (and patience) from @ogiewon. And 95% of my automations are in webCoRE. So, I don't see a HUGE hurdle to getting everything working. And I expected it to take a little bit of work. It's just frustrating when you think you have something worked out ahead of time just to find out that you couldn't have been more wrong. I'm sure you can relate. I do have to say, I do have webCoRE and Cast-Web-API already set up, so I did accomplish some things today. Just not quite as much as I would have liked, that's all.

I'm also trying to plan out how to move everything. If I move things little by little, then in order to keep my automations working I'll have to update my pistons to use Virtual Devices every time I move one. Or, I can just take a weekend and turn off my phone and just take the time to move over as much as possible as quickly as possible. I'm leaning more towards the second because it seems like less work in the long run.

While webCoRE has been ported to run on Hubitat, many users experience issues over time which usually are attributed to webCoRE. You may want to give the native apps a try to see if most of your automations can be handled by them.

Just want your Hubitat experience to start off on a good foot.

2 Likes

Ryan,
Welcome to Hubitat! Let me first start off by saying you won’t regret your decision. With that being said moving from WebCoRE to HE was the hardest part for me. I thought about doing what some people have done and continue using WebCoRE but the more I thought about it I decided I would be better served to convert my pistons to RM. As much time as I have invested in home automation I wanted built-in support for my rules. It is pretty rough at first because the approach to building a piston vs a rule is different. Creating rules got a lot easier for me when I finally understood that typically you will need multiple rules vs 1 piston in WebCoRE.
I got my Lutron pro hub over the weekend and the integration was really easy. The best part about the integration are the pico switches. They are great! I ordered 5 more to put around my house. In my kids rooms 1 pico is able to control their main lights, night light, closet light and hall light. They love them!

So, I had added the Pro hub to my cart on Energy Avenue and then left the window up by accident after entering all my info in to get the shipping rate. Well, I just got an email asking me if the shipping rate was the reason I didn't finish my purchase. And it included a coupon code for FREE SHIPPING! So, looks like I'll be getting my Lutron Pro Hub in a few days. It's like the internet is reading my mind!!

For anybody who's interested, the code is SHIPFREE18.

4 Likes

I've looked at rule machine but unfortunately a lot of my pistons in webCoRE run webhooks on my local lan for different ESP8266 controlled LED strip devices (NeoPixels). I haven't found an integration to control digital LEDs that works natively with ST or HE yet. They are controlled via http commands. They work great out of webCoRE currently without a problem. So, I'm hoping that they will port well into HE. Either that or I'm able to find a digital LED controller that will integrate with HE but as yet...no luck. Lots of controllers for analog RGB, RGBW and RGBWW strips but nothing for digital ones.

Some of my other pistons I might try to port to Rule Machine but I'm hoping some of the problems I've been reading about with webCoRE have been worked out by this point.

Ryan i was in ur boat about 3 weeks ago and well am still kinda there. I am still trying to find my way atound and honestly in many wahys failing. I dont completely understand the workings of HE yet so i get frustrated. But as i am converting house over to lutron caseta everywhere, I am finding the speed and reliability wonderful. Perfect no but i assume that is the setup or lack of setup which is on me.

Since ur getting pro hub u are headed in right direction. Good luck

Thanks! My big question is around brightening and dimming and the number of buttons that can be "pulled" for each Pico. They are called "3 button raise and lower". If I wanted to use them to control a smartbult for example, so that the on was on, off was off and raise and lower brighten and dimmed, how exactly would I do that in HE? I haven't yet found a clear tutorial on that part of it yet. Guess I'll have to wait till my bridge pro gets here and try some stuff out.

Lol tutorials would be wonderful. I find simple tasks or setups to b devoid of info or do this then that BUT. its young and if u ask ur answered quickly

Not sure i understand ur question what pico u have?

http://www.energyavenue.com/Lutron/PJ2-3BRL-GWH-L01

With the default Lutron settings, the up and down arrows brighten and dim the light. But if I connect the Pico to HE to control another light, how do I set it up so I get the same functionality? What app do i have to use? Is it a hold or a press to raise/lower this much?

Check that out its what got me going