Can't register hub with account

i can not register my hub. i have the account, i can log into it. i bought the admin remote service. updated the firmware, rolled it back, moved ethernet ports on the switch, rebooted, soft reset, factory reset. i am so frustrated by this thing. why is registering my hub on my account so impossible? do i need to buy a new one? this sucks. any ideas welcome.

Welcome to the Hubitat forums!

You don't need to do this to register. That is only needed if you want to do things like write rules or access the admin side of things when you are not on your home network.

That is good, you don't have a defective hub or anything like that. This should be an easy fix.

Ooh, don't ever let it get to that point! Come to the forums and get help. Either one of the community members can try to help here, or at the very least we can help summon support. I have tagged support for you, they should be around shortly.

@support_team

2 Likes

thx for any help

I bought a second hub, registered it by following directions. The message notification telling me my hub wasn't registered kept coming back. When I contacted support, the solution was to simply restart my hub. If you started all the roll backs and soft resets before doing a simple reboot, that could be it.

4 Likes

That is terrible. I don't blame you for getting so frustrated. It sounds like something may be wrong with your account. You didn't need to go through all those troubleshooting steps alone, but I am glad you reached out. When you have a chance, could you please send me a private message along with your email account, hub's MAC address and purchase order details so we can further investigate?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t expose that info publicly if I were you. Click on @bobbyD’s picture in his post above, then click on the message envelope in upper right. Copy & paste your post into the message, then delete the post.

thx, i did that. i appreciate your looking out.

1 Like

i rebooted it. nothing working on this. thx though. i'll reboot it again. why not right? :slight_smile:

Once @bobbyD looks at your info he should be able to pinpoint the issue and resolve it

that would be nice. :slight_smile:

Please check your private messages, in case you missed my reply.

1 Like

ok so bobbyD was a HUGE help, found the solution to this very specific issue. hope it helps if this is your conditions:
1-you can log into your hubitat on your lan 2-you can log into your account online but your online account does not find your hub 3-under network setup click 'network test' and the ping test 1.1.1.1 returns nothing but the other 3 show your hub is talking 4-your time does not auto update unless you press the update time button 5-you have xfinity internet and you have enabled advanced protection 6-you have updated and rebooted and checked your lan wire and firewall and done everything and nothing works to register your hub to your online account
if this is you, please follow this 'how to' as this was my solve with the help of bobbyD and it was a huge pain to figure out.
1-download the xfinity app on your phone (purple box with white x) 2-find the button marked 'connect' at the bottom of the app 3-look for the button that sais 'devices not connected' 4-look for' IEEE certification authority' device 5-rename device hubitat 6-look for 'pause device' and unpause it if paused 7-click 'assigned to' button and assign it to household. 8-look at device details and find the ip number for your device 9-go to a brouser on a computer on your lan (house wifi) 10-put the ip number into the brouser and your hubitat will show up. so you can verify it was your hub. now go into your hub settings button and go to network settings and click network test 11- now your ping 1.1.1.1 should return something like this:
PING 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1) 1250(1278) bytes of data.
1258 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=18.4 ms
1258 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=19.7 ms
1258 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=18.3 ms
1258 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=56 time=18.9 ms
1258 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=56 time=18.7 ms
--- 1.1.1.1 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4004ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 18.330/18.808/19.722/0.500 ms
you are now actually up and connected. what you need to do now is go into settings and click on 'hub details' and go down to the blue 'my account' link and you will be prompted to log into your account or will auto direct you into your account. next click on the top right button 'registered hubs' and your hub will now show up. click the 'register my hub' button and now your phone app will now connect over cellular and work with your dashboard and geofencing and your hub time will autoupdate as it should.
sorry this is so long winded but it was a lot to figure out and i hope it helps someone with this very specific set of conditions that prevent your hub from registering to your hubitat account and your phone app working as it should if your an xfinity user.

2 Likes

Ugggghhhhhhh. Just another reason I avoid their equipment. You should not need to go through all that. I currently run my own modem (saves 15.00 a month on rental) and my own firewall (Watchguard T35, but a T15 is suitable for most people) Very straight forward and no hoops to jump through for diagnosis...

Glad you got it working!

3 Likes