Can't get Leviton Dimmer Module to Dim

Thanks, @JasonJoel. I assume you have the same Leviton plug-in dimmer mentioned at the top of this thread? Or are you referring to the switch? The firmware could be different.

I have a few of these dimmers, and I've tried the "smart" driver for all of them, and it hasn't worked for me, while the "non-smart" driver works fine.

I only have the switch, not the dimmer. I'll look tonight and see if I can find the exact model #.

For what it's worth...

I've had much better luck using the Z-Wave CentralScene Dimmer driver with this dimmer :slight_smile: I still need to get device models sent to Mike to auto-assign them to that driver ...

Thanks, @adamkempenich. I thought I tried that, but I'll have to try again when I get home.

Would you be able to help clarify the functional difference (intended and/or actual) among Z-Wave CentralScene Dimmer, Generic Z-Wave Dimmer, and Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer?

@mike.maxwell Would be the expert on explaining those :slight_smile: I have a few ideas, but don’t know exactly how they differ in communication.

CentralScene Dimmer exposes button capabilities, the device must support the central scene class
Smart Dimmer only parses SwitchMultilevelReport and BasicReports into device events.
The non smart drivers will attempt to parse just about anything into a device event.
Beyond that there's not much difference.

In the end if HE doesn't select a driver for you, you manually pick the one that works the best...

1 Like

Thanks, @adamkempenich and @mike.maxwell.

Just to bring this full circle, in case someone refers to this thread in setting up the device in the future: The Generic Z-Wave CentralScene Dimmer driver also does work for me to control this device.

I would note that the CentralScene driver includes some additional features (i.e., beyond what’s in the Generic Z-Wave Dimmer driver) that the device doesn’t support; however, status changes initiated from the hub get reported back to the hub more quickly than they do with the Generic Z-Wave Dimmer driver. I don’t know whether this is because the Generic Z-Wave Dimmer driver requires the additional “get” after the “set” that the CentralScene driver handles a different way.

(Separately: Makes sense to me why these drivers are “Smart” and not “Smart”, rather than “Z-Wave Plus” versus “Z-Wave”—the technical distinction, as I had originally thought, doesn’t seem to be Z-Wave versus Z-Wave Plus.)

1 Like

Speeds are faster for me with the central scene driver. These used to work perfectly with the old leviton fan driver, as well. That’s been deprecated, though.

My understanding on why these are Smart vs Plus is that they were manufactured when Leviton still held the instant status patent. From what I remember, after that was dissolved, the Plus branding came to be.

It might not be 100% accurate, but an article I read a couple years ago had said that :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Ryan780 do you have a similar driver for the regular toggle switch as well? The generic smart drivers don't properly report physical and digital on/off and it's driving me nuts!

Have you tried Generic Z-Wave CentralScene Switch? If that doesn’t work, try Generic Z-Wave Switch.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.