Can't access QNAP NAS remotely through ASUS OpenVPN server

You can also try turning off the Asus firewall for testing. Possible your away subnet is the same as your home subnet?

I didn't think about what device you are connecting in with, I was assuming it was a laptop but @marktheknife is right, if it's iOS there are a ton of apps, i personally use iNetTools for iOS.

Right now I'm on a 192.168.1.1/24 network.

Yea, this is what i was talking about in my initial post, @ritchierich said it much better lol..

1 Like

Are you saying you cannot ping your NAS even from a windows machine within your local NAT network? Times out each time?

Oh and yes you will need to setup everything manually again which is a bummer.

no, sorry. Since creating this thread I've been away from home. So all this troubleshooting has been through the VPN. If I use Remote Desktop Connection to get into my Win 10 NUC PC that's at home (from my remote laptop that's connected to the VPN server at home), I can still access the NAS without any issues.

Just not directly from my laptop, iphone etc. that are tunneling directly through the VPN.

@marktheknife then i would definitely look at what @ritchierich commented on:

Keep in mind that ICMP packets may be blocked on the QNAP as well so "ping" may not respond but as @ritchierich said, i think we are getting warmer, i think the VPN subnet/network needs to be added to your QNAP security settings to allow access.

3 Likes

Success :tada:! I added my local subnet and the VPN subnet to the security settings. Now I can ping the NAS from my remote laptop, login to it's web interface, and access it from QNAP's Qmanager app on my iphone.

Now I'll just have to remember to add any IP ranges outside of these two if I make any major changes to my LAN or VPN setup in the future. But for now I seem to be good!

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

3 Likes

Congrat!!! i'm glad you got it figured out!!!

Sweet glad you got it working. Now delete your OP screenshot so the world doesn’t know your VPN settings :joy:

1 Like

LOL, so that's why I've been getting notifications from my hub all morning that it's time to send a bunch of bitcoins to someone in Russia, or else... :rofl:

1 Like

You must use the internet differently from me. All I get are ads for ED pills/devices. :scream: :innocent:

2 Likes