Cannot use system variables (ie. %device%, %value%...) in Conditional Actions

Why are we unable to use %device%, %value%...in a Conditional Actions?

Something like
IF %device% = "somedevice" THEN ...

The only way to achieve this is to set a global var to %device% and then test the global var.
Set GlobVar to %device%
IF (Variable GlobVar() = "somedevice" THEN ...

Also do you expect to permit the use of "AND" "OR"... in IF Statement in the near future.
IF this=that OR that=this THEN ...

Thanks and keep up the excellent work!

1 Like

I'm confused...why are you trying to do it like that? Why not simply use the capability of %device% and check that. If you are trying to check which door is open, just directly check the contact's status rather than using %devcie%. The %device% variable is always the triggering device but not necessarily the one you would want to use in the conditional action.

The thing is, that's exactly what I want to know...which device triggered my rule amoung the 2 or 3 I've selected as triggering devices. And sometimes it's a device that only turns on for a millisecond or so.

If triggered device=a then
Do this
Else if triggered device=b then
Do that

The new If then/else if/end if of Rules 3.0 is a dream come true for lil old me. It makes everything so much easier :blush:

Then put them in separate rules. They're free you know.

I want to keep things simple.

The exact same rule apply to 3 devices.

And you think trying to do it with a global variable is simpler than just having 3 rules? Well, I guess we're all entitled to our opinions. But i guarantee you, you would have had it working days ago if you'd done it in 3 rules.

Trust me,

I've been a Software engineer/Programmer for almost 30 years.
Between having to modified 3 "rules" with the exact same codes, when needed, efficiency taught me that simply having to modify one is way much better...and fa$$$ter.

So again, simpler is better :slight_smile:

2 Likes