Cannot Pair Z-Wave Sensor. Stuck on Found Z-Wave device with id 12, initializing

Having trouble with Ecolink DWZWAVE2.5-ECO. Followed the instructions to the letter. Did the include and the exclude many times. Took the battery out for five seconds over and over. Cannot seem to get past.. Found Z-Wave device with id 12, initializing... Hangs there then include times out.

I had one before this one that did the same thing. I did Z-Wave repairs and tried to trick the thing into pairing... Not even sure why is all of a sudden that one eventually paired. Took a long time. Anyone have any advice on these devices?

Well... I kept at it and eventually got it to pair. This time I went to the Z-Wave section under settings. Noticed that the device was listing a Discover button. I hit that button then pulled the battery out for about 10 seconds and it came up. Not saying that was the fix of just dumb luck.

Yes, some manufacturers of devices don't let it stay awake for long, especially battery devices. You found the exact solution I would have suggested: "If there's a Discover button on the ZWave Details page, Wake the device again and click Discover."

2 Likes

I don't have the Ecolink contact sensor, but I do have both the tilt sensor for my garage doors and a few water leak sensors. I always pair them close to the hub rather than in their permanent locations. I then move them to their final location and do a Repair so they can recreate their mesh. It helps to make sure the sensors are kept active during the pairing and repair processes to make sure they do not go to sleep. For a contact sensor that means repeatedly moving the magnet relative to the sensor.

1 Like

@jts2045 How does the rest of your z-wave settings page look? Want to post it?

1 Like

WIth both sensors I moved them within inches of the hub and that made no difference. I just keep hacking at it and finally got it to pair.

The EcoLink sensors are the only ones that are this difficult to pair. All of the manufactures paired like they were supposed to. Seems to me there is something going on with this particular sensor.

All of the other sensors look good on the page. Everything is working as it should. The new sensor once I finally got it to pair is pretty solid. Just very difficult to pair.

I bought two of these because of the rare earth magnet that allows for more separation between the door and the frame. The two doors involved make it hard to get the two pieces close enough together with other sensors.

1 Like

True... I was hacking away and found that discover button and it seemed to make a difference. Just following the instructions it finds the device and hangs at the initializing part.

Thankfully I only need two sensors from Ecolink.

1 Like

Those contact sensors also contain a wire terminal inside which you can do fun things with like adding a mercury switch to make it a tilt sensor or coupled with a split core current switch can detect current flow in wires - ex. detecting when attic fans go on/off etc..

2 Likes

I have many of these ecolink sensors and I had the same experience. Pairing eventually worked after multiple tries. I also use those terminals to make my pressure pad work.

3 Likes

It might not seem plausible, but if you are "only inches away" from the hub, you might have been too close. You might have been better off a few feet away, but yet within direct line of sight. If you are too close, you might be overloading the receiver. Another possibility is that you might have been in a null region of the antenna pattern. Because the antenna is crammed into a small box, it is not omnidirectional. There are certain directions where the RF pattern will be enhanced and other directions where it will be greatly reduced. For comparison think about the pickup pattern of a cardioid microphone.

1 Like

To pair mine i do this. Same room as hub. As remove battery from sensor . Start exclude.

Insert battery and push sensor button down when exclude. Remove battery for 1 minute. Repeat but with pair mode on hub
You can release the inside button on sensor it pops up that it found it.