Cannot get lights to turn off when there is no motion using Simple Automations- Help trying to pass home inspection

Hello,

I am trying to pass final inspection on my new master suite addition. One of the flagged items was not having a motion switch that will turn off the lights in the bathroom when there is no motion. Well, I have a smart switch and a motion sensor so that should be easy right? Guess not :wink:

I have a Zooz smart switch that works now that I excluded and re-included it using no security. I was having issues with it before, but I can turn it off and on using hubitat. I have an Iris motion sensor. I setup the following automation in Simple Automation.

It does not seem to work. I can see the motion sensor set to inactive. Can anyone help me understand why this would not work?

Some logs may help understand it better, and confirming that you also see motion become active and then switch to inactive. Assuming that is what you meant, just wanted to make sure.

1 Like

The rule looks right. Are you able to see motion from the device page? Can you control the light from its device page?

Could you share a screenshot of your logs?

1 Like

I want when the motion sensor becomes inactive, wait 1 minute then turn off light switch. Basically, turn off the light if there is no motion in the bathroom after X minutes.

Do I have that setup wrong?

Here is a screenshot of the events for the motion sensor

Here is the event log for the switch. You can see that I turned it off and on digitally via the hub

Are there other logs you would like to see?

That’s good! Is there anything on your Hubitat Logs related to either of the devices or the rule?

1 Like

Wasn't thinking there was anything wrong with the setup of the rule, just that the logs can help better understand what is (or isn't) happening. From the events log you provided that appears to be working... So like @Sebastien asked for, the logs from the app / rule are the next thing to check.

1 Like

Okay here are the motion sensor logs

Here is the action logs. This is interesting. There are only 2 logs. Its almost as if the actions arent running.

I think you do have it setup wrong. You have it set to turn off with motion. Set it to turn on, then it will turn off when there is no motion. The rule doesn’t turn it on, which is probably why it doesn’t turn it off.

2 Likes

You might want to consider using the “Basic Rules” app instead. It is brand new and might be more intuitive in this case.

1 Like

That kind of makes sense... :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will give this a shot. Thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.