Cannot Add Ring Contact Sensor Device to C8-Resolved

An admitted novice to Hubitat and am starting with what I thought was the basics...a single Ring Contact Sensor 4SD1S70EN0 paired to the single C8 hub sitting about 4 inches apart. Hub is operational with the latest platform version 2.3.5.152. I chose this sensor since it is listed as supported. To the best of my knowledge I've followed Ring's instructions to initialize pairing which amounts to removing and resetting the batteries. The instructions further state a quick tap on the pairing button, although other sources suggest holding for 3 and 10 seconds. Doesn't matter, Hubitat refuses to see it. Possibly there is a sequence of operations I am missing. I've performed the Z-wave exclusion, and factory reset of the sensor. I even gave Ring Support a call and notwithstanding the "Compatible Devices List, they refused to further assist me as they state they don't support Hubitat. So much for the list. Thoughts?

Possibly stupid question - where did you get it? Is it (supposedly) new?

I ask because I have received broken devices both from eBay sellers and (supposedly new) from Amazon.

Do you have another Z-Wave device you can try to pair to your hub just to confirm the hub is basically functional?

1 Like

They are compatible, but the frequent problem is folks want to include them in a non secure limited way. These devices are designed for the Ring Alarm system which requires S2 security and uses the QR Code to install them. I would suggest doing a factory reset and then add them to the hub with SmartStart.

Nevermind that looks like a gen 1 sensor.

1 Like

The compatible devices list indicates devices that have been confirmed to work with Hubitat. That list does not indicate technical support from a device manufacturer to use the device with Hubitat.

As for your original issue. Can you post a screen shot of your entire z-wave settings page? This page can be accessed under Settings -> Z-Wave Settings.

First generation technical manual:

Second generation technical manual:

2 Likes

I have six of these installed just recently, so here is my experience with them.

I use the app (hubitat) and the zwave tools for smartstart inclusion. I use the camera, and even though the QR code is really tiny, was able to get it to scan and start inclusion.

It doesn’t matter what you name it here… I just use a name for future reference—It does not propagate to the hubitat ecosystem in the device settings, it will show up as a “ring G2 contact sensor” which you can rename later.

Anyway, once you do that, it may take a minute or two, but the context sensor button/indicator (which I don’t know why its a push button—I’ve never had to use it) starts to blink green… As the inclusion process continues, and I’m assuming security, negotiation, etc. blah blah blah (way over my head) my sensor started blinking more rapidly, and eventually goes off.

If you refresh your devices page in Hubitat, you should see the ring G2 device listed. I had to change the device driver in the settings, I just use the default built-in device driver. They seem to work perfectly.

1 Like

Is this a 1st gen device or a 2nd gen device? If 2nd gen the link below has some good advice. There is also a video in the link showing a 2nd gen device being paired.

Also, as stated in one of the linked posts, try pairing with S2 security.

Smartstart did the trick! I did have to press the device button once to initiate pairing, but it recognized the device almost immediately after doing so. I don't understand why the manual pairing process failed so miserably, but appreciate the guidance. Thank you to everyone who responded.

1 Like