Cannot add devices in S2 mode

OK. I will first try resetting the radio WITHOUT removing/excluding any devices.

Instead, I'll factory reset each device before I re-include it.

If this does not work, I'll exclude everything completely from hubitat, reset the radio, and try again.

I'm in the process of re-adding z-wave nodes after a radio reset. They're adding, but z-wave is being finicky, don't know if it's the hub or devices. Each time I add a device, I wait a little while and then I go and try to do a network repair which kind of verifies everything is working, and it sits at this:

Seems like the only way to get things working again is to reboot the hub, so I've rebooted a number of times so far. 3 devices added with S2 though and they seem to work.

You've been in this community for 2 years already.. you must have read to NOT do a full Zwave Repair on a C-7.

It's a waste because (obviously) you won't wait long enough for it to finish before rebooting and it's not going to give better results.

You do you and all that stuff but this seems like more of a ZWave torture test than a way to add devices. :smiley:

2 Likes

(obviously) you won't wait long enough for it to finish before rebooting

It'll sit at that screen for 10-15 minutes before I reboot it.

When it actually does the repair, it takes a minute or so in my setup.

you must have read to NOT do a full Zwave Repair on a C-7.

If we shouldn't do that, then why is the option available?

You do you and all that stuff but this seems like more of a ZWave torture test than a way to add devices.

If I could add more than one device between rebooting the hub, I would.

To be used in very specific circumstances. Like after unpairing a large number of repeating devices. Or moving multiple repeaters around ….

And it will take a long time to get finished.

Btw, have you updated the hub’s zwave firmware?

It only takes about a minute with my setup, I have under 10 z-wave devices currently. In this specific case, it appears to hang, or at least the UI hangs. If I reboot, I can go back in and successfully do the repair.

Yes. The hub's z-wave firmware is up-to-date. As is the firmware in all the Z-wave devices I own that have firmware updates available, which is most of them. As of a few days ago at least :wink:

Here's where I'm at - everything that supports S2 is including correctly, and the "swap apps device" thing has worked flawlessly. Now it's time to add all my sensors and I think we'll be good to go.

I'll update with a final summary once I'm finished.

Ultimately, the way I solved this was to reset the Z-Wave radio and then re-add each device individually.

I can't help but to think that this had something to do with the fact that I migrated from a C-5 to C-7, but I have no evidence to support that :wink:

I did make sure to re-add all the hardwired stuff first (switches, etc) to build a good mesh infrastructure, then I did the battery-powered stuff.

Everything now appears to be working exactly right, everything that supports it has S2 security, and I'm a happy end-user.

I appreciate everyone taking their time to help me out.

1 Like

Because the Platform image is common between a C-3, a C-4, a C-5 and a C-7. The C-7 introduced the ability to do individual ZWave Repairs. Nothing prior has that and so the only option is a full repair.

In general, the individual ZWave Repair is the recommended method on a C-7. A Full Mesh Repair is not usually recommended on a C-7. There must be some edge/corner case where it benefits, but off the top, can't think of one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here's one. You move, and take your z-wave devices and hub with you. They're in new locations vis-a-vis the controller. Individual repair will not cut it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.