Cannot add any more zwave devices

More weird things.. I put my hub into exclusion mode and I press the bottom button on the zen34 switch to being exclusion and the zooz device flashes the light to tell me that it has been successfully excluded but the hub times out.

So there is proper operation of the radios as far as I can tell. But the hub doesn't report it to me.

Doesn't really sound like a database issue, but you could try a soft reset.

And if that doesn't help there's Restore Previous Version in the diagnostic Tool.

1 Like

Alright. I'll create some backups and try that. Thanks

Just did the restore after a soft reset. That doesn't seem to have worked either.

I saw a 'memory low' warning when I was updating my hub a few days ago. That seems to be when this all started. Never saw that error again. Went away after reboot. But would that be a clue?

I only have 7 devices on the hub now. Should I wipe the hub and just start over with it all? I hate to do that and then not be able to get anything on the hub at all. But then if that happens I guess I'll try to turn it in on warranty. If there is any warranty left.

It is very strange that you can see the device in Zwave section, but it doesn't show in the device listing.

I wouldn't wipe the hub. Maybe with the guidance of support the Zwave radio, but certainly not the whole thing.

If you can wait, I would see if support would like to look at this. I don't know if engineering logs would show anything, or not?

@bobbyD is this something that you could possibly look at?

It's very strange. But it appears the z-wave radio is operating fine. The actual devices think they are paired and they appear in the z-wave radio section. Just not in the device list and the including process does not ask me for a device name after the device tells me it's included.

There is something really weird going on in this hub and it's not making me feel like I want to add the 50 or so devices to it only to have this problem at some point down the road.

I'd almost feel better buying a new hub and starting over. But I guess I can wait and see. I'm done with it for the night. I spent all afternoon on it.

Where was this memory low alert? If it was from the Z-Wave radio, then likely some stranded devices are misbehaving, which can lead to radio running out of bandwidth.

Based on what you shared thus far, it is not clear how you ended up with only 7 devices? Have you forced remove them? That would explain why they are not listed on Devices page but they are present on Z-Wave Details page. Force removing devices effectively creates ghosts, which could make inclusion/exclusion difficult, if not impossible.

If you didn't check the Z-Wave Troubleshooting document, here is a link to it that may give you some ideas what to look for: How to Troubleshoot Z-Wave | Hubitat Documentation

Last but not least, you can send me a private message and we could look at your hub's engineering logs to see if we can figure out what's going on (assuming your hub is connected to the cloud).

Can you post a screenshot of your z-wave details page?

2 Likes

I found out how I ended up with the ghost nodes.

When I was doing an inclusion, the devices were reporting that they were included just fine. But the UI in Hubitat would not recognize the inclusion and would time out - so it would not ask me for the name I wanted to give the device and what room I wanted.

I have since removed the ghost nodes. I did this by doing an exclude and then initiating an exclude on the devices. That worked. I do not have any ghost nodes in Hubitat any more.

But it won't let me include devices. They just end up as ghost devices. I cannot get the UI to recognize that a pairing occured.

Here are the details now. I removed the ghost nodes.

The third one down (Master bathroom mirror lights), too?

What model are your Inovellis?

9.6kbps on Z-Wave devices is cause for great concern. Either you still have misbehaving devices or you need repeaters. That might be why inclusion times out too.

I have lots of old Inovellis and some reds. But that one is an older Inovelli. By old I mean less than 2 years old or so.

So the third one down, the master bathroom mirror lights is working. I can turn it on and off with the hub. Why would it communicate but not be listed in the radio mapping? Unless it is bouncing off of a different device that's on but not paired?

It is probably fine, sometimes after a reboot or if the zwave crashes the route will be blank. It will populate itself again eventually.

1 Like

Yes. It populated itself.

1 Like

If you run a Z-Wave repair, does it complete or you have devices failing?

It repairs with nothing failing.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.