Can you trigger a SCENE with IFTTT

So I like to use Alexa to shut it down for the night and I was wondering if I create a SCENE (shuts off all non-bedroom lights, leaves on a dim night light in the kitchen and turns off AV system via Harmony) and then I set it ti trigger with a keyword, will "Turning on" the SCENE work, or is there another method? Here's how I have it set currently. My SCENE name is Bedtime.

Do it in the hub instead of IFTTT.

This isn't the exact directions, but should get you close.

Create a virtual switch. Name it bedtime.
Create a scene. (groups and scenes built in app)
Trigger scene (activate it) from the switch bedtime.
Be sure the virtual switch "bedtime" is visible to (enabled) in the Echo Skill in Hubitat.
From there, you should be able to say "turn on bedtime".

2 Likes

I think you could also create a specific β€˜Mode’ for your bedtime.
Modes are just labels that can be used kind of like presets for your hub.
I know some users on HE have lots of Modes to reflect certain conditions or times throughout their days and nights.
Check this episode ..

1 Like

Yes, this will work. When you create a Hubitat Scene, via the Groups and Scenes App, it will automatically create a virtual Scene Switch that you can 'turn on' to activate the scene.

What I do not understand is why you're using IFTTT in the middle. It is much simpler to use the Hubitat Skill for Alexa directly, and then simply create an 'Alexa Routine' inside the Alexa mobile phone app. This would take IFTTT out of the picture for performing such simple tasks as the one you have outlined above. It will also perform more reliably and faster without IFTTT in the middle of everything.

2 Likes

Well I was using IFTTT because I had the same phrase controlling my Harmony Hub through IFTTT. I'm switching from Wink and they had no Harmony Hub integration. Now I did figure out last night that it can all be done within Hubitat, so I DID cut IFTTT out of the loop completely which makes everything super smooth and fast. Love it!

3 Likes

Awesome! Glad to hear you've got it all sorted out to your liking.

1 Like

Add @ogiewon 's driver for Harmony, and you can completely eliminate IFTTT and control the Harmony Hub locally. I use this in my goodnight routine which can be triggered from Alexa or the press of any of three different buttons in my home.

3 Likes

Already did and it's awesome!

3 Likes