Can outside temperature be used as a condition

I'm trying to replicate my Stringify flows to prepare for its demise. I have a flow that turns a heater on at a specific time only if the outdoor temperature is below 50 degrees, and turns it off at a specific time. I don't see a way to incorporate a weather app (Weather Underground, for example) to accomplish this. I hope I'm missing something!

Welcome to the Hubitat Community!

There are various community apps for WU and one for APIXU. Any of the WU apps require a WU API Key, which to get for free, requires that you are uploading from you own PWS.

So APIXU is your best best without a person weather station. You can then create RM rules to do what you want.

1 Like

Another method would be to install an outdoor temperature sensor. I have one of the Sensative Strips sensors on my front porch.

Thanks! I just received the key. A newby so don't know what to do with it, but I'll go into Rules Engine and see if I can figure it out. Might yell for help!

What is PWS?

Thanks again.

Thanks for this suggestion.

Personal Weather Station - I'll add that to our acronym list we have going here.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/common-acronyms-and-abbreviations-wiki/13745

Thanks very much for the help! The heaters work just as I want, replicating my Stringify flow.
I'm getting the hang of the Rule Engine. I think...

You can also use the built-in Hubitat OpenWeatherMap driver to create a weather device. The advantage of this is that you’ll be using native Hubitat code versus community custom code. While the built-in version may not be as feature rich, it has worked well for me.

1 Like

Using native code would be my choice, I just want to access the local temperature.

However it's tough being both a newby and an old-timer! I've looked around - without success - to find the Hubitat driver you referenced, and how to create a weather device with it. If you could provide a link to information I would be grateful.

Create a new Virtual device then fill in the blanks :smiley:

You will pick the OpenWeathermap from the dropdown.

54%20PM

You will have to get an OpenWeather Key and insert that into the driver info page once it's created.

The result will be a set of Attributes:

Current States
    city : Beverly Hills
    cloudiness : 90
    humidity : 76
    pressure : 1015
    temperature : 49
    weather : overcast clouds(overcast clouds)
    weatherIcons : 04n
    windDirection : 226.501
    windSpeed : 2.04

In Dashboard, add a tile and pick the Weather device you created, then pick the Template: Attribute and pick the one you want to display from the dropdown list.

34%20PM

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your help. Wx has replaced WU and works fine!
One thing I noticed is that although I used my ZIP code during setup, the listed city is about 15 miles away at an elevation a few hundred feet lower. The temperature difference between the two locations there can be several degrees. Not a problem in my usage. All I'm trying to do is to turn on a heater if it's "chilly" outside, so precision isn't important.

I read that you can use Lat & Long instead of ZIP

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.