Can it be done?

is there an app or a way to disable 4 motion sensors for 30 minutes using a switch or hand wave over a motion sensor?

when we let the dogs out in the yard for washroom brakes they trip all the yard motion sensors... it would be nice to disable them with an extra switch or motion sensor on a timer for 30 minutes?

Not exactly, but the same outcome you want can be achieved. The typical way of doing this is using some sort of "restriction" in the app/automation you have that depends on motion. For example, if it's a motion-based lighting automation and you're using Motion Lighting, check out the "Switch to disable turning on" option. When this switch is on, then this automation will not turn on your lights, even if the motion sensors become active, as long as this switch is on. You could create some way to turn this switch on (it could be a virtual switch you activate via voice or a physical button press somewhere) and turn off automatically after 30 minutes (a simple Rule would do).

I'm going down the "motion lighting" path here because I don't know the actual reason you care about the motion events. In any case, those can't be suppressed (at least not directly or easily; you could use a Zone Motion Controller and put that between your "real" sensor and the effectively virtual sensor it creates, then come up with some way to restrict that, though ZMC doesn't directly support switches, only modes, so you might need a Rule that does the same, which makes it more complicated). The solution, generally, is conditionals, restrictions, or other options in your apps/rules that make use of these devices.

You could use a virtual switch, possibly with a Door Contact Sensor.

In the rule that is triggered by motion at any of the motion sensors, make the first line an "IF THEN ELSE" conditionals so that "IF DogsOutSwitch is ON THEN Exit Rule" (this would be needed for any of the following rules, other than the "contact sensor only" idea).

If you always leave the door open while the pups are out doing their business, you could use a contact sensor on the door--and just skip the motions when the contact sensor says the door is open, buy starting you "motion sensor triggered" rule with this: "IF DoorContact is OPEN THEN Exit Rule".

Otherwise, leave the "virtual switch" device as noted first in place along with the test listed first above and consider one of the following:

You could also have a rule that is triggered by the Door Contact Sensor being set to Open, that leverages the first rule above (exit if the switch is on) like this:

IF DogsOutSwitch is ON THEN 
    Exit Rule
ELSE
     On: DogsOutSwitch
     Off: DogsOutSwitch Delay=30 min Cancel=True 
END-IF

This way you'll start the 30 min timer when you let them out--but you don't create overlapping events if you open the door again during the thirty minute window.

If you want to restart the 30 minute window every time the door opens, you could do something like this (you want to cancel any pending "off" actions so things don't get tripped up):

Cancel Delayed Actions
END-IF

Or, you could toggle the switch when the door opens, with a 30 min timeout.

Cancel Delayed Actions
    Off: DogsOutSwitch
ELSE
END-IF

I have contact sensors on my doors but they are being used for ring alarm system. I don't think I can use them with Hubitat.. so maybe I would have to buy more?

1 Like

There is actually an unofficial Ring Integration available that apparently works quite well.

It will trigger Hubitat events when Ring devices see something.

Just got the Samsung button.
I'm having a problem making this button disable/pause a motion sensor for 20 minutes and then automatically un-disable/un-pause the motion sensor..
Could you or someone please explain a bit better, I'm really new at all this.

@rob9 has it laid out well. Maybe a little more info to get you over the hump, now that you've got a button to use. Create a virtual switch called 'DogsOutSwitch' and keep the motion rule very simple, like Rob mentions.
Trigger is by motion sensors...
If DogsOutSwitch = on then exit rule
Else
--do whatever you want when motion occurs--
End if

Then use the button as the trigger in a new rule (instead of the door contact) for Rob's suggestions of controlling the DogsOutSwitch however you want.
And if you have an Alexa hooked up you can have her confirm that the motion rule is bypassed when you hit the button. :grinning:

1 Like

It'll be easier to recommend what to try if you can describe how the motion sensors are being used.
i.e. Rules/Apps etc.

There is also a way to disable the devices with an http post as described below

I believe this is not recommended by the staff but it would work for all rules/apps..

It's being used by rules ..
I use them for my security cameras to notifications me when motion. It sends requests to my blue iris..and blue iris then sends me the notifications if movement happens.