Can Ikea Fyrtur shades (or any other shades) be controlled both manually and via motors?

I'm looking for a roller shade or cellular shade that works both manually (grab and adjust) and via motor control.

Can the Ikea Fyrtur do that?

Do you know of any that can?

Appreciate any help. :slight_smile:

Manually? Why would you ever want to do that! :wink:

Seriously though, not something I ever saw. I recently got a Zemismart roller shade motor and it came with a handy remote. Would using that (placing it next to the window) work for your purpose?

1 Like

Following. I am interested in the same thing and haven't seen any yet.

1 Like

A button/control next to the shades would help, but this is a WAF thing and she really wants the ability to walk up to the blinds and move them the old fashioned way w/her hands when she wants to.

She likes the automation to open them in the am and close them in the PM, but wants to be able to adjust their position them manually as well. Yes...certified control freak. :wink:

I have a feeling we're talking not possible, but wanted to ask...

2 Likes

put a button next to the shades where she can open/close them, so instead of manually controlling the shades, she just presses a button to accomplish it

set up voice controls, so instead of getting up and walking over to the shades, she can just voice command it. my wife loves the fact i set our blinds up on voice command

We recently bought black out shades for my sons room that have chains. I thought about buying these, but they are expensive:

@bptworld ported a driver for them and can hopefully comment if you can still manually control the shades with it installed:

Yup, for what I would characterize as "normal WAF" a button next to them and voice commands would be fine.

But for my particular WAF requriements, that just doesn't cut the mustard, unfortunately. (And just asking, but why would anyone want to cut mustard, anyway?) :wink:

She HATES voice commands worse than anything else. Never uses them to do anything. I have a Google Home mini in the office and set up very simple commands for her to use to control blinds there, and she just refuses to use them. I married a cave woman... [sigh]

I have a Sunsa wand arriving (hopefully soon) and that might work, as you can both automate and have direct control from the wand at the window. Just have to find some cellular shades that use a twist-wand style action.

But she likes the Ikea shades simple/clean look so I was hoping to figure out a way to use them both via automation/buttons and direct hands-on control.

I showed her the Axis some time back and the look of horror on her face was comical. I backed away slowly saying "Nothing to see here, nothing to see..." :wink: So yeah, that was a "no."

1 Like

It's the mustard leaf you cut, not the condiment

I saw the thread with those. Pricey but look sweet. I would definitely invest in them to control my blinds. Hopefully they can be integrated easily

Ahhh...makes sense now. Except now it seems I have to go buy some mustard leaves.

Main weakness right now is no local control - cloud-based. They say they are going to provide a local API, but other vendors have promised before and reality has gotten in the way...

switchbot is the same, cloud based but they did provide their API so integrations have been made

1 Like

The ikea fyrtur cannot be adjusted by hand. There are buttons on the blind casing next to the battery slot but they're small and obviously above most people's reach.

1 Like

Thanks very much for confirming that, appreciate it.

Looks like I'm going to need to remarry.

:wink::scream:

1 Like

The big issue I guess is tracking position if you allowed manual adjustment. If after such an adjustment you issued a go to 50% open that would be hard to calculate.

There’s obviously a path around that with a suitable clutch gearing arrangement and always going via fully open but I can’t see any manufacturer wanting their blinds to operate that way or paying the extra for the mechanics required.

IKEA have an up down button on the front of the casing.

With a bit if ingenuity you might be able to add a vertical slider potentiometer to the window casement or wall that reported position to HE and put the blind to that position. Almost manual. The flash version would use one of those motorised faders seen on mixing desks. As an automation junkie those have always engaged me.

Maybe that Brilliant Controls wall mount dimmer switch with the vertical finger width recessed channels (avail US only) could be used ?

Knowing your wife, as I feel I do now, she wants to manually adjust based on seeing where the sun cutoff horizon is within the room. Automation possibilities still though with light sensing if it’s always to the same place

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.