Can I pair my August Pro lock to my Hubitat C7 without letting the C7 control the lock?

True true. Still a lot less work to kick the door in :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah, using a different driver won't do what I want.

The concern I have is that kicking a door in is a clear sign of forced entry, where as a hacked lock is not, and that's very important for insurance if the worst does happen.

Then the answer to your specific original question is - no, there is no way to do that.

If it helps at all, a former career police officer friend of mine with decades of service said that in his experience vast majority of home "break-ins" are accomplished via unlocked doors, open windows, open open garage doors, keys left outside in obvious locations (under the mat - DOH!!), etc. People problems, not technical problems. The next most common category he experienced was smash and grab. Break a window, grab stuff easy to sell stuff quickly, and high-tail it away.

There just aren't a bunch of bands of hi-tech thieves running around breaking into homes via sophisticated network attacks.

Unless there is some reason why believe you'll be targeted by a sophisticated gang of Mission Impossible thieves, an "IT break-in" just isn't going to happen. Much more important to ensure you and family members remember to close/lock stuff up. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

lisa simpson window GIF

I can crack any z-wave or zigbee lock!!

2 Likes

Not so special :flushed: :popcorn:

Lol... Was just using that as a jump off point. People are so concerned about security of their home automation system. Lets face it, a brick will bypass a lock. Lets assume that someone is close enough to sniff your z-wave or zigbee network, they're close enough to see exactly what light you're turning on or off etc. At that point they're gonna wait till you leave and break in the easiest way possible... just saying.

2 Likes

The point is more that a brick or similar method leaves obvious traces of a break in, where as a hacked lock would be very hard to tell apart from leaving the door unlocked, which would mean no insurance coverage.

Also wouldn't just be z-wave range, but if the remote services of Hubitat or any other third party integration got compromised.

I get it. Windows and cylinder bumping much faster. The poster in the original thread (in a deleted thread) kept making claims about high-end homes in Silicon Valley being broken into via a Z-Wave hack. IIRC @aaiyar kept challenging him and there were no receipts.

2 Likes

Yeah @aaiyar is good about calling out bs and doing a mic drop lol. Multimillion dollar homes will have a proper alarm system and not rely on a lock to protect them. There is going to be a whole lot more at work including a monitoring company.

1 Like

Jo Rhett has a very active imagination. FWIW, there’s others here who Jo never responded to with details - like @dennypage.

3 Likes

Jo Rhett... Now there's a big blast from the past. :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Just to put it into perspective, the FBI data shows that "Hacking/Computer Invasion" happened in only... 26 cases out of 583,178 burglaries reported in 2021, whereas unlawful entries (when the door was unlocked or a window was left open) account on average for nearly 40% of all burglaries. So, using Hubitat Elevation to lock your doors and notify you when you left a window open is one of the most inexpensive ways to protect your property from a burglar.

4 Likes

I already have a smart lock, and get all the security benefits of it, so connecting my smart lock to other services and expanding it's attack area merely makes security much worse, not better.

Again, if someone really wants in, a brick or prybar is more expedient than trying to hack the lock...

1 Like

I've already responded to that point multiple times.

You mean like my old comic book collection in the basement?

1 Like

You are not "expanding" your risk. If someone gets passed your network security, will not target Hubitat, will go directly to the source (lock) :wink:

2 Likes

You are not "expanding" your risk. If someone gets passed your network security, will not target Hubitat, will go directly to the source (lock)

Except if the lock is now controlled by the Hubitat (or any other service), that's now a giant extra attack surface. Finding a vulnerability in a secondary service that has access to the target is a classic attack.

Every new service you add to something you are trying to secure is a new attack vector with potential vulnerabilities. And an entire IoT platform like Hubitat is going to be much more complicated, and much more prone to mistakes than a single, much simpler program like a standalone lock.

The likelihood that someone would target your local platform is less plausible than you unlocking the door with your hand and inviting the burglar into your home. Now a cloud connected platform, is a different story. Accidents happen more often than hacking.

3 Likes