Can I make this work with Alexa or Hubitat? Turning on Thermostat to announce if doors left open

Whenever i turn on the thermostat, can i make Alexa announce which door/window is open?

I have Ring, Alexa and Hubitat for all my automations.

And also have the Ring contact sensors to all our external doors and windows.

Nest is the thermostat we are using.

Tried to search as much as i can, i only found cases where Alexa gives the contact sensor state by asking it individually. Can someone please help with ideas

The way im thinking is to create bunch of virtual devices in habitat to replicate ring contact sensor state by alexa and run a rule machine to notify by monitoring these virtual devices.

Do you guys see any other better way?

Are the contact sensors integrated into your HE hub as devices?

1 Like

Something like this should do you. You can make it repeat at intervals as well

The first step is getting Alexa to announce anything, as this is not an "official" capability. Various "unofficial" options exist, including Echo Speaks, but none are built in to Hubitat. Alexa can do some TTS without these options, but only specific phrases you set up beforehand in the Alexa app, so I don't see any way to do what you're looking for here with those limited capabilities (though they are perhaps more reliable in that Amazon officially supports that option, and you don't need any custom code on Hubitat, either).

Once you have some way to actually do the notification/announcement, you have some options on Hubitat. A rule would work, but getting it to announce specific sensors is difficult (unfortunately, in the rule provided above, and in any rule, %device% refers to the triggering event, not what devices match in a conditinoal expression...so it will announce that the thermostat is open :slight_smile: ). I wrote a custom app to handle situations like this, if you are interested:

However, it can't be "natively" triggered by a thermostat. It can be triggered by a switch, so coupled with a rule that turns a virtual switch on when the thermostat operating state becomes cooling, heating, or whatever you want (and using the auto-off option in the virtual switch so it's effectively momentary), it should end up doing that. If you want to use a rule instead, the first post in that thread contains an example of the rule I replaced with this app, though part of my reasoning is that the rule was difficult to maintain with new/changed devices.

1 Like

They are not, as I'm using them for the Ring Alarm

Hmm,I thought that would refer to the reporting device... My bad

Sorry, that's what I meant--the device in the (most recent) triggering event. But it won't match anything related to a conditional action, an occasional mistake I've seen made here. :smiley:

1 Like

My bad, edited. I thought %device% would be the reporting device...gah, not enough caffeine this morning!