Can I get true local control of a smart plug/outlet?

I have searched the forum for information about smart plug/outlet local control. I just installed LED lights in my shop that require the Feit/Tuya app to control (cloud) and I am looking for a smart plug that has ONLY local control with HE. A couple that were mentioned here are not even UL listed, so that is important. Are they out there?

Lots of them. There are both Zigbee and Z-Wave devices, dozens of them. All of those would be local only.

I don't know about UL listed though. Some other testing lab usually, no?

Yeah, most of these smart device makers don't bother with UL listing. That's not because the products are of low quality, but because UL listing is added expense.

2 Likes

Do you need UL Listing specifically? ETL tests to the same standards and is also generally accepted in the US. But there are indeed many cheap products that are not certified with either (many of which also won't work natively due to being proprietary Wi-Fi, BT, etc., though that is a different issue).

Otherwise, most major brands in the US should have either UL or ETL listing: GE/Jasco, Zooz, Sengled, Aeon/Aeotec, Philips Hue, Innr, and undoubtedly many others I can't think of off the top of my head all have Z-Wave or Zigbee plugs that work natively with Hubitat. So does TP-Link Kasa, except they are Wi-Fi, and again, there are likely others.

2 Likes

Also kasa tplink wifi have local control through hubitat and cloud through their own app

1 Like

I have recently bought a couple of Centralite 4200C smart outlets. I just looked and they are showing a UL logo.

1 Like

I did the whole Tuya shuffle to get my Feit LED shop lights into HE. But they were taking 2-4 seconds to turn on/off. Just not acceptable for shop lights. Also, the cloud process required my LAN password and I just was not comfortable with that.

There are several "Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories." UL is probably just the largest and they write/maintain many of the standards that are used for product evaluations. Intertek (ETL) and TUV are also common, but there are others.
Approval/listing by any of them is equivalent.

2 Likes

The Kasa plugs are excellent, UL listed but run on WiFi and integrate with HE. Mine have been stellar. Some models also report power.
1 example: https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Required-Certified-EP10P4/dp/B091FXLMS8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2PCHKP3M04JBW&keywords=kasa&qid=1679118458&sprefix=kasa%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-3

1 Like

There's also the IKEA Tradfri outlet which again is only ETL stamped, but they do say "Conforms to UL" on the back. :thinking:

FYI @Pantheon I have a bunch of the TPLink plugs for sale in case you want to go that route. I should also say I never tried to use them in Hubitat but people have said they work locally. You may need to install the appropriate driver to get them working. I switched to Zigbee devices at the same time I switched to Hubitat.

I listed them here: For Sale: Kasa TP-Link Wifi Plugs, bulbs, switch [CANADA]

I went with the Philips Hue plugs. They seem to work well. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.