Can I adjust any of my new ThirdReality motion sensor settings?

Just got my thirdreality motion sensors in the mail and added into hubitat. Testing out I see the red light come on, and the event trigger. I'm very new to hubitat but on the devices page I see

Configure - doesn't seem to actually do anything?
Refresh - I don't know if this does something on device or on the page? Page seems to update itself when motion status changes
Update Firmware - again don't see anything happening

Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity, the cooldown/timeout, stuff like that? Or is it just however it is (which I can't actually find any documentation on?)

And I guess somewhat related - can anyone screenshot/link to an example usage of a motion event turning on a light - and also turning it off after?

Okay now I got into live logs and I see the 2nd sensor I set up says firmware download is 60% complete and it has a solid red light on it - I assume that's related. First device never did this?

Using the Room Lighting app here is an example of my motion lights for a bathroom, and it has a backup timer in case the motion is never triggered but lights are turned on. Also shows where I have the off restricted when the Shark Vac is running (so it can see).

These sensors do not have any sensitivity settings. Currently the only zigbee motions with sensitivity are the philips hue and the sunricher MW sensors.

2 Likes

Ah - interesting. My immediate thought was using rules machine. I am tech-comfortable though I've been out of tech for a long time. Right now the biggest issue I find is I don't know what I don't know.

Like - how would I know there is this room lighting app? Certainly it simplifies things. Got it working (without any conditions) very quickly - though I suppose it may have some limitations? I guess I need to try and find some good reading/documentation intro'ing me to all the things you can do and here's some ways...

1 Like

Some light reading, :smile: Room Lighting | Hubitat Documentation

It has limitation yes, but there are some thing you can do in RL which would take multiple RM rules and/or virtual devices. I have two complex RL where during one specific mode (morning) I wanted to fade the lights up which I had to do in a separate RM. If I tried to put the entire RL into RM it would either be very long and complicated or split into multiple RM and hard to maintain.

1 Like

The built in apps are described here: Apps Documentation | Hubitat Documentation, the community apps... Well searching the forum is a good idea, or adding the [RELEASE] Hubitat Package Manager (HPM) -- HubitatCommunity and using its search to find one

1 Like

Agree with @jtp10181's post above -- RL can do some pretty cool stuff that would require numerous RM rules to accomplish. Admittedly, that doesn't necessarily make it "better", just perhaps more convenient.

But, yeah, RL takes some patience to navigate... It's still a relatively new offering, so it doesn't yet enjoy the breadth of user experience knowledge that RM does.

I started off small in RL -- basically just used it for Groups and Scenes initially. As I learned more, I started to add more functionality here-&-there to a couple of them. Sometimes it was 2 steps back 1 forward, but it all helped slowly increase my knowledge of RL.

Like setting up most rule-type things in HE, building incrementally instead of shooting for the moon right away can save a lot of frustration.

1 Like

I don’t have a hue sensor yet, but if I do get one can I add it into my garage (one sensor doesn’t have enough coverage)… and have the condition of the hue sensor light sensor as well as either of them detecting motion?

Or is that sort of condition on a devices individual sensor property too complicated for RL app?

Oof, my initial gut reaction is that mix of conditionals may be better suited for RM, but it may be possible in RL somehow too.

But don't get caught up in trying to use RL for all things lighting-related -- there are plenty of scenarios where another app (RM, Basic Rules, Button Controller, etc) is indeed the better (or only!) answer.

These days, I typically start with RM to set up some new thing I want to do -- that's just because I'm most comfortable working in RM. Once I get it working as hoped there, then I'll consider opportunities to leverage it somewhere else... Now that I better know what I'm up against, could I do potentially do it more cleanly or otherwise better in (RL or whatever other app)?

Using my both motion sensors and the lux from the hue should be possible in RL. I could probably setup an example if it comes down to that.

Good to know! I don't currently have any sensor that also reports lux, but definitely picking up at least one hue sensor so I'll play around with it once I get one!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.