Camera's on Dashboard

Hi, I have 3 POE camera's i'm trying to get working on my dashboard. I'm pretty happy with just going direct to the camera and grabbing the JPG url into an image tile. This works great with a Reolink camera however my other cameras (Hikvision and Dahua) only show on a dashboard in ios or osx Safari. I can go direct to the url's in a Android/Windows browser but once the URL's are in a dashboard tile will only work when loading the dashboard with a Safari browser. Any ideas? thanks

I had a similar problem using Fully Kiosk to load dashboard background images; turned out it was a problem with the hosting of the image (in a private folder on my NAS). Backgrounds would load fine on a browser authenticated and logged in to the NAS, but not on Fully. Moving them to a public folder only available on my local network solved the problem across all browsers (Fully, Silk, etc.).

Likewise, with POE camera streams I've been perusing the forums for a while and have yet to find an approach that works without some third party application getting involved since authenticated RTSP streaming isn't supported. From what I have seen a lot of users will use Blue Iris and embed a link to a MPEG stream in a dashboard tile. If you have a NAS you can do the same. I run Amcrest POE cameras, essentially Dahua, and have livestreams converted to MPEGs through my NAS. I know there seems to be a lot of displeasure with how HE dashboards feel and perform, but with some tweaking and reading the forums you can usually get them to do what you need, and do it locally. Mine turned out fine: Show Off Your Dashboards!

1 Like

This may be of interest!

1 Like

which app is running the iFrame driver?

1 Like

Please read the 2nd post. The driver is not necessary to display camera feeds on dashboards. Just use an image tile.

If you do need the driver to show HTML content, then the app that would use it is Dashboards.

Hi Angus, could I please pick your brain? I'm fairly new to HE but learning fast. I'm trying to display my IP camera feeds on one of my dashboards. I've got the rtsp string for the camera and it displays correctly when I test it in VLC, but I can't get it to display in my dashboard. Am I doing something wrong. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I don’t believe there’s a way to display an RTSP stream directly. Please read the thread posted above (“putting live video…”). From memory…. it’s a long time since I played with this….If you have an mpeg stream from your camera then you can use an image tile directly in the dashboard, as noted in the thread. If you have something like RTSP then you will need to go through an intermediary like tinyCAM, as explained in the thread. tinyCAM is a piece of software you run on an always-on mobile phone or tablet, and it runs a little web server to stream your video out in a format that the dashboard image tile can display. It also provides some nice AI object detection that you can harness for motion detection using a little app I wrote.

Good luck with it!

1 Like

Hi @Eltels - if you’re an Android/Fire user for your tablets I recommend Hubitat Dashboard by Joe Page. It supports RTSP streams natively now. Until recently I’ve had to use an intermediary app on a Raspberry Pi (motioneye) similar to what @Angus_M suggested, to convert the RTSP streams from my Hikvision cameras for dashboard display. The recent fix to the app means I no longer need this and can enter the stream url as I would in VLC.

1 Like