Camect

Those are amazingly low processing specs which makes we wonder how on earth they're doing image analysis on potentially 12 cameras--very impressive if it works as well as it's reported to!

I'll certainly be doing i7 or i9 and 32GB

I took the leap too. If I need to re-host, it looks like that little box could be re-purposed and the hardware alone is probably $150-$200. I was looking at getting a NUC 8i5 to rehost my cameras anyway so I can try the Camect box for a while and if it's not fast enough . . .

I keep looking to see if someone is building a product like this using the Nvidia Jetson.

I have less tech constraints, as I wouldn't exceed 4 cams. So the unit packed with the sw is still a good purchase.
BTW, the unit is similar to this. The overall price seems fair

2 Likes

This is interesting.... Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

Took the leap as well. Hoping at least to get home/away modes synced with HE.

Looking forward to that! It would be great to get person (or other object) detection back in to HE too.

Has anyone else taken delivery of Camect yet? Keen to see some integration :slight_smile:

Mine was to have arrived in March but COVID has conspired against me :frowning:

Ive got my Camect all set up and working, first impressions are its pretty awesome. Object detection seem to be very accurate so far and everything runs much quicker having it all local.

I would love to work with someone who has more development skill than me to get the Camect API integrated into Hubitat.

2 Likes

Good to hear! Can you provide some info about your camera setup (number, resolution, type, ONVIF or RTSP, etc.)? I'm using SightHound with four 4MP ONVIF cameras on an Intel i7 box with 8 GB of RAM and it keeps the CPU utilization hovering at 60--65%. IIRC the Camect uses a small form factor Celeron which is pretty low power.

SightHound object detection works well enough during daylight hours but sucks at night, frequently identifying headlights and moths as people. I'd be very interested to know how well the Camect does with nighttime object detection.

Hey Steve,

Yea no problem. I have 2 Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW-28MM5 and 2 Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW-40MM with plans to add 1 additional IP8M-T2499EW-40MM in the future. All 5 will be 8mp 4k ONVIF cameras.

Honestly all of my camera locations are brightly lit via LED lights throughout the night (all homes in my area were built this way as there's no street lights - new construction/house is only a year old) so they never have to go to night vision mode (though cameras are set to automatically switch to night vision if needed).

Maybe tonight ill manually shut the lights off around my house for a bit and have my kids/dogs run around out there to see if it really changes anything. But from what I recall when doing my research before going with Camect, there weren't many complaints about night time detection.

I was using NEST Cam Outdoor IQs in all of my locations before deciding to try and get rid of the cloud service and going with the Amcrest/Camect combo. I never really had any issues with night time detection on those either (those were 3mp 1080P).

Mine just arrived after sitting in Hong Kong (probably waiting for a flight) for 10-12 days. I haven't played with it yet.

1 Like

Had mine for a few days and first impressions are “wow”. Eliminates false positives - which is not an easy task. By now, I feel like most of the kinks are worked out. My only concerns are the ability to grow beyond 24MP - but it’s sounds like you can run the code on your own hardware later down the road. I worry about longevity of the company but it’s very impressive thus far.

Ok, 18 days later this is what I’ve got thus far. Could use others help in coming up with other ideas:

1 Like

Also, if you want to add camera snapshots to your dashboard, you can use this to grab a snapshot of each camera. Hopefully the include this as part of the platform vs. needing to run your own middle-man server to make an API request: GitHub - bdwilson/camect-snapshot: Camect Snapshot Proxy

how are you going with this @brianwilson?

1 Like

so i got in on camect back when it was on kickstarted and have a life time supcristion. thanks @brianwilson for the alerts im able to bring the camect dashboard into HE ( but only on the local network ) i would really love to get those snapshots over to the dashboard with a 2 sec refresh rate

You can do this with the snapshot proxy. If you want a snapshot URL from within their UI, you need to ask them for that.