C8 Zigbee Radio Turning Off/On Multiple Times a Day

Yeah, I have. We haven't gotten to a solution yet, for whatever reason my situation has been very difficult to diagnose/resolve. But still trying...

1 Like

Is this the new hub? Or are you still using the old one that was replaced, already?

That was on the old hub. I didn't get to switch to the new hub today as planned, as my wife ended up being home most of the day and I need to stay out of the office to avoid being a third party in her work Zoom calls. :slight_smile:

She is supposed to go to work again on Thursday, so that is probably the next day when I'll have the house to myself all day and can go around fixing anything that goes wrong after the migration, testing things, etc. I expect the migration to the other C8 will go pretty easily, but just want to be careful. Her patience w/all the issues has been very good, but it's wearing thin. I don't want to have any obvious problems going on in front of her if I can help, as her confidence has taken enough hits. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Two zigbee radio reboots in the early morning hours, around 3 AM.
Ever since .140, ST Arrival sensors are being more affected.
Didn't realize I used them so much-damn convenient.
But, when the garage doors and gates open, and the alarm gets deactivated in the middle of the night, maybe not so good.

The zigbee radio reboots, perhaps a programmed response to something or other, seem to have more deleterious effect now in .140.

1 Like

This is strange. Back when I was somehow on the wrong zigbee stack early on, I was having these issues with my 4200 plugs too. Those and my ikea repeaters were the biggest culprits.

At some point after the stack thing was fixed, I still had issues but they slowly resolved after a week or two. A few versions ago my ikea repeaters were dropping off, but knock on wood they have been solid for the past couple weeks.

2 Likes

I have begun an experiment, lol:

I always wonder if HA 1.2 smartplugs are ideal repeaters for Zigbee 3.0 signals. I a couple of Smartthings plugs and a couple of Centralite plugs originally used as repeaters on my C7 network. When I tried adding an Aqara sensor to the network, they would never pair until I replaced my older smartplugs with Zigbee 3.0 plugs.

When I upgraded to the C8 hub, my Aqara devices went offline. Since I had only two of them, I decided to replace them with standard Zigbee 3.0 devices rather than trying to figure out the problem I kept them to be try again later.

Currently, I am using Third Reality smartplugs as my primary repeaters. They come in two version, Gen 1 does not have power reporting; Gen2 does. There have been issues reported with the Gen 2 plugs overwhelming the network with data, so I would recommend the Gen 1 devices unless you need power reporting for a specific application. Besides, the older plugs are less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/THIRDREALITY-Zigbee-Function-Certified-Required/dp/B09KNDM4VV/

I was originally using eWelink 15 amp (correction 10 amp) Zigbee 3.0 plugs as repeaters. However, during a winter ice storm, a power surge damaged several of the 10 amp devices. Thus, I have replaced the damaged plugs with Third Reality 15 amp smartplugs. Hopefully, they will be reliable.

3 Likes

Had 2 ZigBee reboots today. Getting a replacement hub in a few days and will report back once it's installed

3 Likes

Also experiencing zigbee radio failure. Never indicates offline but cannot get commands to devices unless a radio reboot is done then works for a short time.
changed power from 20 to 16 but made no difference.
running Platform Version 2.3.5.141, Hardware Version Rev C-8

2 Likes

Symptoms similar to what I'm seeing (ever since I moved from rock-solid-zigbee C7 to C8 when it was released). I had a couple blissful days of zero ZB issues mid-week, then all the zigbee gremlins came back out of the blue today.

I've tried every possible combination of radio power, swapping antennas, reboot/rebuild sequences and soft resets. Nothing yields a significant improvement - the device-dropping/outage gremlins always resurface within a day or two.

There's no rhyme or reason for the drops/outages, and it's fraying my last nerve here.

Further exploration indicates my zigbee devices are using their batteries up at a high rate. I'm going to have to dump all zigbee devices until this is resolved except for two test units.

I have had no unsolicited zigbee radio reboots since I ditched all my mains powered devices. Have 13 battery devices. edit: reporting directly to hub.

I would recommend the sonoff dongles i put two in and have had basically no drop offs since.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KXTCMSC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

These do work, and I haven't had any issues with them on my C-8, but it should be pointed out that these do have to be flashed as repeaters. Not too complicated - it is detailed in another thread here - but just be aware.

2 Likes

We are now over a month into this problem and I just had to repair 20 windows sensors because, surprise, they fell off my network. With my C5, my Zigbee network was rock solid. What do we need to do to fix this? I'm beyond tired of finding Zigbee devices that have fallen off the network. My smart home is more like a dumb home with Hubitat at this point. Please, for the love of god, issue some kind of statement. I hope that you are at least working with the Zigbee chip provider to find out why older devices are incompatible.

Any way you can ship out a C5 or C7 to everyone having this issue so we can migrate our Zigbee devices back to a stable configuration? This is getting ridiculous.

4 Likes

Agreed - it's getting very old at this point.

I dunno if this is a SiLabs chip issue, SiLabs firmware issue, or a HE firmware issue (or whatever combo of those), but it sure would be great to get this C8 zigbee weirdness resolved.

1 Like

Considering firing back up C7 hub for zigbee devices. Where can i find instructions for doing that, running both a C8 and C7? i seem to recall something about needing to remove devices from the C7 so there are no conflicts...

I'm kicking that around too, but if these gremlins end up being due to changes in the HE firmware since C8's release, then I worry the gremlins will just follow me back to the C7 too.

So without further information about what's causing the gremlins (i.e. SiLabs hardware issue, SiLabs firmware issue, or HE firmware issue), I'm leery to invest significant time & energy in trying other things.

Moving my zigbee network back to my old C7 would be no small task, but I'd consider it if I had good reason to believe it would work.

Did find this regarding running both:

Partially back in business running only zigbee on my C7. Changed C8 IP to new static address, was same as C7. changed zigbee channel on C8. Fired up C7 and accessed it, turned off zwave (on C7) per article and reconnected zigbee on a couple devices. seems ok .
Will have to run zigbee on C7 and zwave C8 until issue is resolved. Fairly easy addition/transition. I'm sure something weird will popup i forgot to do...

2 Likes