C8 with Hub Protect vs Zigbee counter

@bravenel , it appears that a longer delay restoring a cloud backup from C7 to C8 will result in a Zigbee counter issue requiring a reset and rejoin for all Zigbee devices. During a migration where you have both hubs in hand, I’d assume this is not a big issue if you backup and restore quickly.

However, assume I have a C8 with Hub Protect that fails. My cloud backup may be a few days old, and let’s assume 4-5 days to get a new hub in my hands. In this scenario, the backup will be 7-10 days old. If I try to restore the backup to a new C8 hub, will I need to reset and rejoin all Zigbee devices?

Zwave would not have this issue, correct?

While this was true initially, there was a post the other day (Migrating *from* C-8 *to* C-7 - #28 by bravenel) where it was stated that @mike.maxwell had found a way to set the counter to a value that would allow Zigbee devices to restore from less than an immediate cloud backup.

1 Like

@Thebearmay , I saw that, but I'm assuming there is a time window here in play...just trying to sort out what that would be. @bobbyD , would you have an idea on this question?

My understanding is that the time window no longer exists in this scenario and that the restore for zigbee would effectively be the same as for zwave.

2 Likes

The counters are adjusted upwards upon restore by an amount based on the age of the backup. So it should work after restore without having to reset/re-pair devices.

5 Likes

That is awesome. @Mike.Maxwell did his magic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.