C8 migration, several devices now failing! Help please!

Mine is still set to 16 on the latest publicly available firmware.

1 Like

I'm gonna chime in now with multiple zigbee devices that have fallen off. Everything worked fine post migration besides one hue motion sensor. I re-paired it and it's been fine, but I'm having other zigbee devices falling off.

Yeah I think it's important to keep top of mind this is NOT a Hue motion sensor issue. This is an issue with a variety of Zigbee devices dropping off. The #1 culprit seens to be Hue motion sensors but it is certainly not limited to them. Hopefully when Hubitat finds the problem with the Hue sensors it will also address the others.

3 Likes

Aaaaand case in point I just lost another INNR plug

Exactly. There's a total mixture of devices I've had drop off. Some of them have been rock solid for years.

2 Likes

So wait, you're saying I have to be aware of and concerned about other people's stuff when it's really primarily the hue sensors that are bothering me?

I'm really not sure I'm a deep enough person to deal with this.

:wink:

I know from experience with these in the past that it's way early days to comment, but the evil Aqara button is still on my mesh, I think it's been 2 days. Shocking.

1 Like

In fairness, that's the ONLY device that has given me any issue. even the INDOOR hue sensor has been fine. only other zigbee stuff I have is Innr bulbs, and they are fine too.

1 Like

Not so sure if it has anything to do with device types as it does with the number on the system. I have Iris V2 sensors, Smartthings water detectors & motion detectors and Sengled Element bulbs that have fallen offline and can only get a limited number of them to re-pair. When I plotted the temperature from a number of water and contact sensors it is obvious there is something going on with the Zigbee radio as they all dropped off together.
I have a support ticket open with Hubitat regarding the problem.

Update with Zigbee device counts. Zigbee on ch20 and tried various power levels. Hub is within 75 feet of all devices and primarily on same floor.

15 Sengled element color plus (unable to get more than 7 re-paired now)
1 Sengled element classic (re-paired & later dropped off)
9 ?? rgbw lights (7 re-paired, 2 keep dropping)
11 ST moisture sensors (unable to re-pair several so gave up for now)
7 Iris v2 contact sensors (for temperature only) (several re-paired but dropped off later)
2 ST motion detectors (1 re-paired)
1 Lightify switch
9 ST outlets (all stayed working but I unplugged 7 of them while troubleshooting)
2 ST multi sensors (dropped off 6 not tried to re-pair)

10 various Z-Wave devices all working

1 Like

In my case, the hub with more sensors on it is doing fine, including no issues with 2 Hue outdoor sensors. But the hub with fewer keeps dropping one Hue outdoor. Since I dropped the zigbee power to 8, the other Hue outdoor on that hub seems to be doing better. I've had 0 problems with my ST leak sensors and Innr plugs.

No no no. This is all about ME. I just have other stuff that I want fixed for ME!

2 Likes

I have two homes and at my second home I run a C5 hub with zigbee. I haven't had any issues with any Zigbee devices on that hub but I changed the channel over to 15 from 20 a long time ago so you might want to try that and make sure that any WiFi you are using is not set up on ch15 (or ch20 for that matter)

At my main home I run a C7 hub but I don't use any zigbee devices on it (radio is turned off). For all of my zigbee devices (and I have a lot) I use zigbee2mqtt. I have two different controller for that. One controller is set up on ch20 and the other is set up on ch15. I have found that some zigbee devices (the older battery ones not zigbee 3.0) don't like ch20 so much and would drop off once in awhile. When I switched them to ch15 no issues.

Some of the devices were ST, Aqara, Sengled, Iris, etc. So you might want to change your zigbee channel and make sure your WiFi isn't overlapping and give that a shot.

I'm now up to 97 zigbee and 27 Z-wave devices on my C-8 with none dropping offline. On Zigbee I have:
7 Hue motion sensors
15 Iris V2 motion sensors
2 Samsung contact sensors (V4, V5)
5 Iris V2 contact sensors
4 Linkind contact sensors
6 Sonoff contact sensors
10 Lightify 4-button switches
9 Sylvania 2-button dimmers
4 Kwikset locks
4 Samsung buttons
2 Lutron Aurora rotary dimmers
2 Hue 4-button dimmers
4 GE in-wall dimmers
3 Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 dongles
1 Sengled Element Color Plus bulb
1 Tuya Valve (soon to be 3)
1 Tuya mmwave radar sensor
3 Samsung leak sensors
4 Linkind leak sensors
5 Samsung plugs (2-V4, 3-V5)
2 Hue plugs
3 Sylvania plugs
On Zwave I have:
4 First Alert zcombo smoke/co detectors (first gen)
2 Zooz Zen34 button devices
1 Ecolink leak detector
3 Ring gen 1 motion sensors
10 GE/Jasco z-wave plus dimmers and switches
1 Zooz Zen30 double switch (700 series)
7 Zooz Zen77 dimmers (700 series)
Things are working better than they ever have. I'm on Channel 19 with power level set to 20. No child devices on the hub's zigbee routing table. All zwave devices are directly connected and 100kb/s except for the First alerts at 40kb/s. I have a C-5 with 40 zigbee devices on channel 24, a second C-5 with radios disabled (that I migrated), a Hue bridge on 11 and another on 25. A couple of Velop MX5300 nodes on who knows what channel because Velop knows best (not user selectable), 3 HomePod minis and 3 ATVs (not currently using thread for anything, so I don't know if that's enabled as well). I have all of my sensors and lights connected to Apple Home via Homekit beta and Homebridge V2, Echo Speaks, Sonos, NOAA Weather Alerts, Google SDM API for my Nest Thermostat, Alexa, CoCoHue, MakerAPI, Home Assistant Device Bridge, Hubitat Package Manager, and of course the standard built-in apps for device control. This is a 2700 sq ft 2-story home built in the late 80s on a half-acre lot. Very little wifi interference from neighbors.
EDIT: I just scanned the wifi and my Velops are on 2 and 10, so maybe Velop does know best considering the different zigbee channels in use. That may also be why my one Hue bridge changed channels from 15 to 11.

1 Like

I used a wifi analyzer app and found my wifi hubs are all on channel 2 (were -- now on channel 4). The neighbor seems to be on channel 8, with nothing else above that. My c8 hubs were on 18 and 20, with the one on 20 doing OK but the one on 18 dropping the Hue outdoor. So I moved 18->22, dropped the power to 8, and crossed my fingers. One Hue outdoor is still attached, but one dropped again. Then my c8 hub on 20 that was doing fine dropped both of the Hue outdoor attached to it. They had been working OK for the past few days. All my ST leak sensors are doing fine. I'm tempted to move up to channels 24 and 25, but I didn't have these issues with the C5 hubs (no idea what channels they were on), and it only seems to be the Hue outdoor sensors.

Don't know what to do at the moment, just hoping this information might help somehow. I'm sure the developers are working on this, I just hope they figure it out soon.

After a few days of running on the C8 my troubles with zigbee devices dropping off has abated. My only issues now are sensors that periodically report their battery state and temperature have stopped sending reports. z-wave devices were all working well from the very start of the migration but started to have slow or missed responses after a few days. I did a z-wave repair and a reboot and response time is much improved. It still isn't instantaneous like my C5 was but almost. Overall things seem to have smoothed out a bit.

3 Likes

This was the post that made me consider changing my radio channel to see if it would stop the C8 going offline every 2 min.

For 4 years I had channel 20 with no issues on my C5. But you have a lot of the same devices as I do and it they work on channel 19, hopefully they’ll work for me on that channel too.

So far the zigbee radio has stayed online more than 2 minutes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Waddya think?

Unfortunately, not for me. Updated last night. This morning reset and rejoined my three misbehaving hue outdoor sensors. One is still reporting, two dropped after about 3 hours

My one hue outdoor motion is at, like, a day and a half.
I haven't gotten past two days yet.

Migrated today, super easy, all z-wave are Direct, all zigbee currently holding steady.

All my cloud integrations came back after re-enabling and re-auth. ES worked (I have a local Linux auth server) right off even refreshed the alexa cookie without fail.

I am continuing to see my devices show a status of inactive after having worked fine.

Background:
Formerly had a C5 and a C7. The C5 had only WiFi devices, the C7 had Zigbee. Hub mesh was used to share WiFi with the C7. All apps ran o ran on the C7. I had absolutely no issues with the devices, hubs, apps, or voice control (via Google Home integration). I migrated both to two C8 hubs. The C8 running WiFi devices have the Zigbee and Zwave radios disabled. Hub mesh is still used. All apps run on the C8 hub with the Zigbee devices.

Issues:
1. Devices go inactive:

• Samsung buttons
  • Samsung muli-sensors
  • Enbrighten (GE/Jasco) light switches and dimmers
  • Innr RGBW Smart Bulbs
  • Sengled Contact Switches (old and new)

I had the C8 hub (Zigbee) replaced under warranty. I am seeing the same issues with the new unit.
2. Sengled contact sensors - hard to pair, improper reporting:
I just tried to add 4 Sengled contact switches and am seeing odd and disappointing behavior. They all eventually paired after persistently retrying over 6 times on average. 2 show battery only. 1 shows the battery and the contact status but does not report any change in status when the window is closed or opened. It always shows open status. 1 shows inactive status after a few hours. I also added one to a door, it too became inactive after 2 hours of pairing it.

I am at my wit's end with Hubitat and the C8 now. After years of problem-free smart home operations, my wife is demanding it all be thrown out. I am desperate to get this all working. If anyone has an idea of how to resolve these issues, I would love to hear it.

:cowboy_hat_face: