C8 Migration Hue Motion Sensors not working [Solved] (hub replacement)

Another me too but a "sort-of" me too. I've two outdoor hue motion centers and one remains connected and the second keeps disconnecting.

The one that is disconnecting is a little farther away so it could just be a range issue, but I have powerful repeater between it and the hub so I think it should be able to find a way to the hub.

I'm going to temporarily move it right next to the other one that stays connected and see if it also stays connected, that would confirm if it's a range issue.

I also have two Hue Outdoor motion sensors - both same hardware level and software level. One has remained connected (so far) the other has dropped off twice.

For those who may have experimented - does pairing of an end device succeed if the device connects through a routing device? If so, is there a reliable/predictable way to force a device to connect through a routing device?

For my Hue Outdoor motion sensor - will just reconnecting it allow it to pick a routed path or must I remove the device from the hub and completely re-install it?

Thanks!

Look at this post:

Reset/re-join from the device is not likely to not solve the issues from that.

Same 'remedy' as on C-8 is required to get the device working: rejoin it through a router, in which case 'Add Device' produces the expected 'previously found' and it works normally, or delete it from the database, reset/rejoin, and fix whatever automations used it.

I just tried rejoining the Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor (just putting the hub in Zigbee join mode and pressing the button on the back of the Hue) with the Hue positioned about 2 feet from a Centralite 4200C (plug in switched outlet) that was already active on this Zigbee network. The Hue rejoined but (as far as I can tell from the child/route table) did not route through the plug.

It is, for the moment, working again.

1 Like

I have 4 or 5 Hue motion sensors in my house. Ever since migrating from C7 to C8 they are now dropping every few days. Before that, I did not have a single Hue sensor drop with my C7 in years.

If I reset the sensor (Paperclip for 10 seconds or more) and search for Zigbee devices they will re-join immediately. They will then drop after 1 to 2 days.

I have a very strong mesh. I should also note I'm not having any issues with any of my other devices or motion sensors from other manufacturers.

Indoor I assume? I ask because my indoor worked perfectly for a week after migration. Today all hue broke loose. Some wont respond while others respond but dont reset. Exclude/include did nothing

Indoor I assume? I ask because my indoor worked perfectly for a week after migration. Today all hue broke loose. Some wont respond while others respond but dont reset. Exclude/include did nothing

All indoor yes.

Well, that's a bummer. I had read about all the problems with outdoor sensors but I though we with the indoor were spared. Mine ran fine for about 1 week. I might put them back on my C7 and use hub mesh or MakerApi.

Add me to the list of those with )outdoor) Huo Motion Sensors that keep falling off the network every couple days. Usually just have to take it dow put the hub into inclusion and press the button, but still a PIA. My indoor doesnā€™t seem to have that problem, but I havenā€™t been paying as close attention to it. I might just remove it and include it in the hue hub. Are there any known issues with motion sensors joint the the hue bridge?

I moved all of mine to my Hue bridges a couple months ago and brought them into HE with Home Assistant and the Home Assistant Device Bridge (HPM). I already had Ubuntu installed on a spare PC for Echo Speaks, so I just installed HA from the snap store in Ubuntu. It was all very easy and took about 30 minutes to get done. I didnā€™t import them with CoCoHue because sometimes push events donā€™t come through for me if itā€™s been a while since the last event.

Bit of a wild stab.... But could the power adjustment available on the C-8 be worth a look? To see if it could fix the issue?

2 Likes

Guess it couldnā€™t hurt. I had forgotten the power on the C8 is adjustable now

I set mine to 20 last week and everything is working. But I donā€™t have the Hue sensors on it. Iā€™m curious to move one over just to see what happens.

2 Likes

Probably worth some playing with, but remember not only does it adjust power, but it also adjusts sensitivity, i.e. increasing the power, increases the sensitivity and therefore could lead to the hub picking up more interference.

2 Likes

With great power.... :joy:

3 Likes

Bit of a wild stab.... But could the power adjustment available on the C-8 be worth a look? To see if it could fix the issue?

I had no idea this was a thing. I'll happily crank it up and test.

1 Like

I would try lower first that worked for me and that is consistent with what the c7 was.

2 Likes

I would try lower first that worked for me and that is consistent with what the c7 was.

I'm in an apartment with tons of interference. If things are dropping, I need more transmit power. They didn't drop with the C7, and I have quite a few repeaters everywhere.

The part that bothers me are my other Zigbee devices in the same areas are not dropping. Only these. I'm willing to try whatever though.

Increasing the transmission power also increases the sensitivity, thus amplifying the interference in a noisy environment. The previous hubs had power level 8 with no external antenna. The C-8 is preset to 16. I turned mine up to 20, but I dont have a very noisy environment.