C8 Migration Hue Motion Sensors not working [Solved] (hub replacement)

The outside Hue motion is still hanging in there.
Alas, utility power is not...has been out for 2 hours...1 more hour estimated.

2 Likes

On a related matter, the Hue indoor motion sensor sitting in a plastic bag in the freezer section of the fridge is now reading 9F. I have it off because the Honda is only 2kw and, depending on other loads, sags some during certain cycles of the fridge. Not sure how to how high a temp I should let it go.

Because your power is out? Your food should be fine as long as it stays under 32°F. Opening the freezer door will only cause the temp to go up, so don't do it unless you have someplace below freezing to put your food.

3 Likes

I can not get my outdoor hue to last more than a day before dropping, has anyone got these to work ?
Here is what I have:

• firmwareMT: 100B-010D-420062AD
  • manufacturer: Philips
  • model: SML002
  • softwareBuild: 420062AD

I do notice I get a "zigbee offline" message every couple days.

Mine is working and has been solid for 8 days now. It has softwareBuild 42006BB7. I did pair it with my Hue hub to check for updates, but it was on the latest build.

I'm not sure what made it work. Some combination of:

• Removing the sensor completely from the C-8 and repairing it as a completely new device. I repaired it in place in the hopes that it would find a suitable route from the get-go.
  • Changing the zigbee radio power to 8. I've since boosted it up to 12, which seems to be the sweet spot for my setup.
  • Rebooting the zigbee radio.
  • Rebuilding the zigbee mesh.
  • Not adding in any other zigbee devices.
  • Sprinkling a quantity of pixie dust over everything while doing the hokey pokey and turning around three times at midnight. (OK not really... but I couldn't resist. It seems as logical as anything else.)
3 Likes

Zero issues with 4 outdoor sensors connected to my C-8, but now may have the issue of @danabw hating me for it. There’s an update coming to address this (the sensor issue). Known Issues in Release 2.3.5.152

Almost 2 days now hanging on a tree.
Reporting lux every 10 minutes.

I'm going to post again only if it drops off.
Of course, I just jinxed it.

Just don’t attempt to install another Zigbee device and it will stay static. Once you start Zigbee pairing mode is when it will reck havoc.

Hmmmm. Really?

Well, I didn't really jinx it, because it went off line at 2:43 this afternoon, before I made that post.
It was on line for about two days.
It failed in the 'active' state.

That has been my experience with it lately. If I don’t attempt to install a new Zigbee device my Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor stays happy and connected.

Mine Hue sensors falling off has not been related to adding any new devices, so your correlation may be just coincidental occurrences. I have no idea of course, but mine have been falling off w/out me doing anything on my mesh to add or remove any Zigbee devices...

1 Like

It looks like my zigbee radio is going off and coming back about every two days.

My Hue Outdoor sensor has stayed on and active. That's the good news.

But an Iris motion sensor, which has been rock steady for years, dropped off around 6:00 pm. I pulled its battery for about 30 seconds. When I put the battery back in, it started reporting again just as though nothing had happened. We'll see if it stays that way.

I can't find anything in the logs that would give me any kind of clue.

ETA: The zigbee radio turned off/on again tonight at 9:00 pm. It appears to be consistently dropping at 3:00 pm and 9:00 pm.

I'm going to jinx it, But my outdoor hue has stayed online about a week now. Ever since .113 came out. And i have added 3 new zigbee devices and removed 2 with no ill effects.

2 Likes

I was all set to test that theory, but before I could the thing went off line.
I'm on .113
I did subsequently remove, factory reset, and repaired an indoor Hue motion with no ill effects.

thats not good i would ping support.. i have a reboot rule so if my zigbee radio goes offline i will know.. it notifies me then reboots

I wonder if the driver could be a factor?
Sensitivity is "High" for the indoor version and "Medium" for the outdoor.
Same firmware versions, for me.
Outdoor drops, Indoor does not.
Same driver.
Could the customization in the driver for outdoor vs. indoor be a factor?

@mike.maxwell ?

I have 5 Hue Motion detectors that are all still dropping. None of my other Zigbee devices are having issues. I even have Smart things branded motion detectors in the same areas that are not dropping.

not with it dropping. the issue appears to be the c8 doesn't like having the hue motions as direct children...