C8 Migration Hue Motion Sensors not working [Solved] (hub replacement)

Same here except for of mine are the outdoor version. Hub is ~10 feet away from the router on channel 19 power level 20.

Channel 20 here.

My C8 hub is 12 feet away from my wi-fi router. The Wifi is on Ch 1 and zigbee radio is on 17, no other interference according to my scans. With the sensors 2 inches away from the C8 hub they will not pair or work. I don't think this isn't an RF issue.

One of my two that had been connected since .113 fell off later yesterday evening. So I'm one for two right now. :slight_smile:

The one that fell off is farthest away from my house/hub, the closer one is still connected. Both of them are closer to the hub than many other Zigbee devices in my house, so again looks like more a Hue issue than a generic Zigbee issue.

In my case it's not a Hue issue - or at least not entirely. I just had a Sengled contact sensor - which I re-paired yesterday - drop off again. My nearest AP is 15 feet away. And I have also had issues with INNR and Sengled outlets as well as ST motion and leak sensors. The outlets and motion sensors seem to be stable with the last few releases. The Sengled contact sensor not so much,

1 Like

Yes, I should clarify - I have many other Zigbee devices around the house, including Iris motion, Visonic contact, SmartThings leak, Centralite leak, Centralite plugs, Sengled (plugs), etc., that are all playing happily w/the C8. The Hue were falling off quickly/repeatedly before .113, seemed to be OK but now have fallen off again while all the others are OK. So maybe Hue Motion and Sengled bulbs have some consistencies that are not working well w/the hub.

I have one Sengled bulb connected an it's been working fine for me on my C8, and I even have some Aqara contacts (the horror!) that are holding up so far on the C8.

FWIW, on the C7 I was recently having consistent problems w/Sengled bulbs falling off the mesh after working well w/out issue for 1-2 years, so there may have been FW changes that started on the C7 that affect Sengled bulb connectivity.

In my case Sengled contact sensors... my bulbs are all Hue on a Hue hub.

1 Like

To say that some C8 problems are not RF related is to ignore the reality that wifi routers are different. Each wifi router brand and model will produce a different output and have a different signal propagation signature. That may be why some people have success with reducing power to 8 on the C8. Or why some people have no problems with C8 proximity to their wifi. And in my case, my problems were solved when I moved my C8 away from a wifi node.

Having said that - too many people are experiencing too many problems with different Zigbee devices to attribute those varied problems to a single cause.

The overriding question is - if things worked on a C5/C7, why don't they work on a C8?

The answer may be that the Hubitat Zigbee 3.0 implementation is not truly backwards compatible. And efforts to find work-a-rounds for this may never be 100% successful.

My guess is as good as yours, but as someone recently said "we are all beta testers now".

3 Likes

You raise some excellent points..

Add to that the increased sensitivity of the C8 on certain power levels, and presumaby the increase in receive because of the external antenna...

Would not be at all surpised if you're right about this.

Bingo!

Or there's still something that can be done with the code - which I am hoping is the case.

That would be unfortunate, to say the least. The ultimate work-around is, of course, to ditch the C8 and revert to a C7. But that would be a shame. I still have confidence that the HE folks will figure this one out.

2 Likes

Certainly an option and for some might end up being the best option. HE has stated they will continue to sell them, so supply should not be an issue.

With great power comes greater sensitivity. :wink: Interference that was negligible on the C7 may become significant enough to cause problems on the C8, even at similar power levels due to the antenna.

One thing I do have confidence in is that the HE team has been and will continue to work very hard to troubleshoot/root cause, and find fixes for the issues that some are experiencing. Eventual full success is of course unknown, but I trust them to throw themselves into the work w/full force.

2 Likes

Updated to .113 yesterday. 2 hue motion sensors dropped within about 6 hours of the update. Had been rock solid on the c5. Just re-paired them. Looks like there are still issues persisting.

2 Likes

About 3 days ago I dropped the C8 power to 12 and moved the C8 about 10 feet from my router.

If you are using channels that aren't anywhere near each other, it shouldn't matter if it's beside your router or not. Good wireless design puts your 2.4Ghz radios on 1, 6 or 11. You want a Hue hub on a channel far away from those. I'd also keep your Zigbee radio on a channel with minimal overlap.

If you are in a congested environment, you should scan neighboring radios to see what's colliding. If you are like me and getting hammered by all channels - your best bet is to be the loudest voice in the room which basically means cranking your transmit and adding repeaters.

For laughs, I took one of my (early) Hue motions out to the driveway to see how far it would work.
I had done this before, with the idea of placing in my (plastic) mailbox.
It didn't make it out there then, and it didn't make it out there now.
I'd say, the same range.
A z-wave ZEN16 is working great in my gate opener's (plastic) control box.
It didn't make it out there with the C7.
Conclusion: ZigBee range same, Z-Wave range, improved.

edit: Some type of cheap Zigbee contact sensor, I forgot the brand, works out there, so that's what I use on my mailbox, package bin, and gate.

I'm just curious, is anyone else running a large thread network? problems/no problems I have HomePods and apple tv's everywhere with lots of thread devices. I'm not willing to turn it all off atm, so I'm curious as to what others are experiencing if you have a thread network with a C8. My thread network works as usual. I also run Lutron .

I started moving some of my automations to Thread 6 mos ago. I have around 20 Eve Thread motion devices and Eve Thread outlets. I also have 4 Homepod Minis at different ends of the house. The results have been excellent. The integration with Lutron Caseta has been flawless. There has been no negative interactions with Hubitat that I am aware of. The Eve app does of good job of showing routings. The only limitation important to me is that Eve does not sell an exterior motion sensor.

I'm just thinking maybe the Thread network or Lutron is stepping all over the C8 Zigbee.
Ugh I'm going to start shutting it down just to see.

Lutron definitely not... it's in the 400mhz band.

1 Like

Okay awesome lol not messing with that then.

Right! Between my zigbee issues and my zwave issues at least I know my Lutron network is solid!

2 Likes

Yeah I'm going to stop chiming in because I think I just have a bad C8. I'll know more when The new one arrives. These signals are terrible with the C8 sitting right next to the repeater.