C8 Migration Hue Motion Sensors not working [Solved] (hub replacement)

Update!

Cranked my Zigbee transmit to full as I'm in an environment absolutely packed with interference. I'm now nearing day 3 without a single Hue sensor drop. So far so good.

I should also mention I work from home, so I'm around these sensors 24/7. They are working great for now.

1 Like

I just saw this. I only have one Hue outdoor motion sensor, but I noticed it fell off after the upgrade. I reset it, and let it get rediscovered and has been fine since.

I thought that was the solution. I moved one back to my old C7. Worked great for about 2 days. Then......... Totally confused now.
I am slowly moving them to HA and sending events back to Hubitat. So far so good (touching wood)

I'm convinced this is all (or at least, primarily) a firmware issue that started sometime in the week or two before the C-8 launch...

I first ran in to all this pairing-related weirdness when I tried to re-pair a couple Hue bulbs I pulled off HE to update firmware on. That was all still back on my C-7 a couple/few days before the C-8 was announced.

Hi -- I am experiencing the same issue. Any insight on how to resolve?

1 Like

The new 2.3.5.113 firmware did not fix my issue with the Hue SML003 indoor sensors. It behaves exactly the same. Takes multiple tries to find the sensor for pairing, starts initializing the new device, the Hue sensor times out and goes back into paring search mode and the pairing fails. Tried several times. No joy.

I have very few Zigbee devices (almost all Z-Wave), but my two INNR 224 plugs have been rock solid on my C-8, and I took the opportunity of migration to have the C-8 update their firmware. Went smoothly. Zigbee power is on default (16), channel is default (20). Hue lights on Hue bridge are rock solid, too. Just another data point.

1 Like

After applying 2.3.5.113 I’ve had two re-paired hue outdoor sensors drop from the mesh again.

I have read a lot of the threads regarding C8 Zigbee problems. I had Hue motion sensor problems from the start. I had tried everything to no avail. I too am tired of pulling out my ladder and have worn out several paper clips.

About 3 days ago I dropped the C8 power to 12 and moved the C8 about 10 feet from my router. Hue devices that I had joined and that had stopped working, started communicating again without intervention on my part. And they have reported continuously since then.

I think part of the problem is the Zigbee radio receiver is being overloaded by wifi and cannot hear Zigbee device return signals. This is probably due to the C8 antenna situation. My C5 hub sits 6 inches from a wifi node and has been solid for years. I have also noticed that when my C8 was closer to my wifi (about 2 feet) it had problems communicating with Zigbee devices on the other side of the wifi node even if those devices were relatively close.

I am currently running .110 and will not change anything till I have more data points on this. I might recommend moving your C8 as far as possible from any wifi node and see if it makes a difference. An alternative would be to play with the C8 Zigbee antenna to degrade it's sensitivity.

3 Likes

Or change your 2.4hhz wifi channel ... what are you on?

1 Like

It’s definitely recommended to have the Zigbee radio at least 6 feet from a wifi router and always has been, but people were probably able to get away with having it closer when it only had the internal antenna. Also of note is that the older hubs maximum power was 8 and the higher the power output the higher the sensitivity and susceptibility to amplifying interference I would expect.

3 Likes

Definitely this as well. Someone had posted a paper where the author demonstrated the percentage of Zigbee packets that get dropped when zigbee and strong wifi signals overlap and it was significantly more than I expected.

1 Like

I would definitely update to .113 as it has fixes for some Zigbee rejoin issues.

1 Like

Well. I really dont understand what is happening. All 7 sensors worked like a charm after migration. A week or so later, one started to act up so I removed, did a factory reset and included it on my old C7. Good for about 2 days. Meanwhile 1 or 2 sensors started acting up on my C8. I removed them as well as the one on the C7. Added them directly to the Hue hub and added Hue integration into HA. This worked so well I added all but 2 sensors to HA. The remaining two on the C8 seem ok which makes no sense. They are the same model/FW as the others and are the furthered away from the hub If they start acting up I will add then to the hue hub.

My 8 Hue indoor motion sensors are all old, and working fine.
All other zigbee devices are running fine; even the three I have at the end of my long driveway (mailbox, package bin, gate).
I only have one hub in operation. Power is a the default 16.
Hub is about 3 feet from router. Connected via Ethernet cable.
I have an outdoor version on the way-might use on driveway.

Will there be any sales of previously used Hue motion detectors? :slight_smile:

Here is a pic of date info on one of my indoor motions; they are all of the same vintage:

Exactly the same as mine but I am not as lucky.

Same here except for of mine are the outdoor version. Hub is ~10 feet away from the router on channel 19 power level 20.

Channel 20 here.

My C8 hub is 12 feet away from my wi-fi router. The Wifi is on Ch 1 and zigbee radio is on 17, no other interference according to my scans. With the sensors 2 inches away from the C8 hub they will not pair or work. I don't think this isn't an RF issue.