C8. Hub unresponsive. wifiDisconnect

Today my C8 rebooted this afternoon. This evening it then became unresponsive.
Here are the details of what the hub is running.
The build is .109
1 x zigbee outlet connected which has the following in the data section for the device.

• manufacturer: _TYZB01_mtunwanm
  • model: TS011F

Pushover device using built in driver.
31 virtual devices.
16 linked devices using Hub Mesh to a C7.
Maker API for all devices to Node Red.
webCoRE running 19 pistons doing nothing much.

When the C8 became unresponsive I could not ping the hub. I could ping my C7.
The LED on the hub was green.
The reason I knew the hub had failed was an alert from my C7 to say Hub Mesh offline was true.
I pulled the power and replaced and the hub rebooted OK.
Not sure what else you guys need to investigate but I'm happy to give you the UID of the hub so you can pull the logs and see what is going on should you need to.
One of my pistons was throwing lots of errors as it is incomplete so I have paused it.
It could well be this causing issues but I'm not convinced.

Tagging @mike.maxwell @gopher.ny

EDIT: I have disabled most of my pistons. Hub has just rebooted again with no input from me. Now running .110 BTW.
Happy to help to diagnose problem.

Since the green light was on, start with pressing the network reset button on the bottom of the hub for 7 seconds with a toothpick or paperclip. (This is the only round hole out of all the square ones)

Next check logs at the time of the lockup. Does anything stand out?

Do you have jumbo frames enabled anywhere on your network?

For my information, What the heck are Jumbo Frames?

Jumbo Frames

A jumbo frame is an Ethernet frame with a payload greater than the standard maximum transmission unit (MTU) of 1,500 bytes. Jumbo frames are used on local area networks that support at least 1 Gbps and can be as large as 9,000 bytes. Because jumbo frames are not defined in the IEEE 802.3 specifications for Ethernet, vendor support for jumbo frames and their maximum transmission units may vary.[4]

Jumbo frames provide a number of benefits over the traditional - IEEE 802.3 - ethernet MTUs. These include:

• The amount of frame sent across the network is reduced.
  • The number of ethernet headers are reduced as a result of fewer frames.
  • The reduction in frames results in few headers being required.
  • CPU cycles are reduced at the sender and receiver side due to few headers needing to be built and read.
  • Network bandwidth is reduced due to the reduction in headers.
1 Like

Thanks for the response.
My C7 is humming along just fine so Jumbo frames is not the issue.
As a matter of interest the hub has rebooted itself again.
Fortunately I have nothing on it apart from as listed above.
I'm not sure if anyone from @support_team has had a look yet.

Just spotted this in the logs.
wifiDisconnect cannot connect to WiFi for 600s, rebooting now wifiDisconnect SYSTEM
Strange thing is, I'm not using wifi. I'm plugged in to an ethernet switch.

Does anyone know if the wi-fi radio can be disabled.
The settings page for wi-fi is empty as I haven't configured it.
Why it should be checking is a mystery.

1 Like

Agreed. Tagging @gopher.ny for his insights. Perhaps the engineering logs on your hub would be of interest.

If the SSID is blank and ethernet is available, my understanding is that it should turn off the WiFi.

1 Like

Hopefully I'll get some sort of response from the support team. :man_shrugging:

Just bumping this in the hope that someone from @support_team may take a look.
At the moment there is no point in fully committing to the C8 until I know why it's rebooting ir going offline.

Just tried sending an email to support but got this.

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. You have reached an unmonitored mailbox. For inquiries related to your hub, please visit our support portal at [support.hubitat.com]
Here you will find the resources and information you need to further assist you with your Hubitat Elevation hub.

When I go to the link above, well a bit pointless I would say as I end up back here to be honest.
I appreciate there has been some issues with the C8 and I'm sure you are beavering away in the background but some sort of acknowledgement would be nice.

It just auto-rebooted again with------

wifiDisconnect cannot connect to WiFi for 600s, rebooting now wifiDisconnect SYSTEM

I got the same message a couple times but when I replied it went thru ok.

Which router are you using?
I found the hub id, will take a look at the engineering logs.

My C7 and C8 are connected to an Ethernet switch, with other types of hubs, which is in turn connected to my router.
I have nothing defined in the Wi-Fi fields.

WiFi definition.

The top of the network page is showing this BTW.

Page Info

Found the flaw in the logic, it's thinking it's on WiFi + some default gateway pings fail.
Fix coming in the next build.

6 Likes

Thanks @gopher.ny I'll hold off any more changes until the fix is released.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Just a quick question @gopher.ny
It was mentioned above that if an Ethernet cable is plugged in to the hub, it should disable the Wi-Fi radio.
Is that correct?

As long as no information is in the wifi fields.

From the screen shots above you can see that there is no info in the Wi-Fi fields and that it also says Wi-Fi is detected. You will also see that it says Ethernet is connected.
I would expect to see Wi-Fi disabled.