C8? Has anyone heard any talk of the next generation?

Agreed the 32 device limit has not at all been an issue. I've slowly moved more and more to zigbee because it works so much faster/better for me. The XBEE was huge in allowing me to see the network and actually watch in heal in real time.

2 Likes

Christmas is coming soon.... ??? :rofl: :pray:

2 Likes

My very ill-informed opinion would be that what I expect are continued troubles in getting electronics produced and distributed would nullify general expansion of a product like we would all like to see..... But maybe the introduction of a new protocol like Matter, over time, may make a new hub more of a viable proposition...? I'm guessing not this holiday season... But who knows....

3 Likes

Agree w/ @sburke781 that this holiday season would be a surprise timing-wise... Between seeing where Matter now goes and maturation of 800-series z-wave, my guess is we're still quite a ways off from the next-gen Hubitat.

3 Likes

That said... Given it's 6 months since the last major comment on this topic.... it would be interesting to understand what may be next hardware-based improvements people would like to see, beyond the enhancements we have all had an opportunity to enjoy over the last 3-4 months.... Not meant as a negative towards any hardware improvement, just questioning what people are looking for in what a new hub could offer? Try to encourage the powers that be to entertain your wishes.... Play salesperson... :wink:

1 Like

If and when it does come out here is hoping the hub recovery service can be used to restore to the new version...

2 Likes

I'm not really focused on fancy new features at this point - I really just want stability. Any thing HE team can do to make the experience as reliable, dependable, and as as much self-healing as possible is tops on my list. Maybe I'm a bit shell-shocked having gone through the growing pains of HE getting the 700-series SilLabs Z-Wave SDK work as well as possible. :slight_smile:

One of the few things that would incent me to jump on next-gen HE hub HW (aside from having a non-production one to play with) would be a built-in antenna mod. I think there is plenty of evidence now to show that the antenna mod can be a game changer for HE dependability.

9 Likes

This, and a zigbee radio whose ieee address was writable - making Hub Protect seamlessly cover both zigbee and zwave migrations.

13 Likes

:+1:

3 Likes

IIRC it’s also something staff have acknowledged they’d look into for future hardware revisions. It’s not necessary for me, since I’ve had no issues with zigbee or z-wave dependability, but if they do end up going that way, it’s another great example of how they take feedback from customers seriously and implement when feasible.

But I also don’t think the next hub is coming out anytime soon. Which I’m ok with, my holiday wish list is too long already.

You’re getting a lump of coal, btw. I have it on good authority :santa:.

3 Likes

LOL...coal!! At least better than Charlie Brown's rock, and my coal can keep me warm.

And that will be an improvement over last year when all I received was a frighteningly dark holiday meme from @rlithgow1. :wink:

1 Like

Agreed. There's no new z-wave controllers showing up on fccid. And given that Hubitat was just at CEDIA, if there's new hardware expected in the immediate future, I would think it would have been previewed (or at least mentioned) in the CEDIA presentation.

2 Likes

This is one I'm hoping for the most.

This would be great too!

I quote this all the time to my kids...especially around this time of year...

3 Likes

I would expect if a new hub was to be introduced for the holidays it would already be in or through FCC testing. To my knowledge there is no hub in testing.

1 Like

Rev C-8 Its coming with 700/800 onboard radio series.
Just hopping they have added more RAM and CPU :slight_smile:

From what Silicon Labs provides in this table of 700 / 800 comparison it doesn't seem like much that would help me except maybe longer battery life and somewhat better distance.

The increase in processor speed and memory doesn't seem like I would get any benefit as all my operations are not terribly time sensitive. And to my knowledge I've not been limited by the CPU memory.

+1 for the antenna upgrade.

2 Likes

Real reason 800 is more than a trivial update - Higher transmit power, higher receive sensitivity- both a big deal on LR range, not so much for non-LR - lower power consumption, 2x memory.

I made an app just the other day that wouldn't fit in my 700 dev board but would on my 800 based dev board due to memory.

A bit of a fictitious application, as I'm pretty sure I could have fit it in the 700 with a bit more work but still, the larger memory is nice.

Just dropping this here.... :wink:

1 Like