C8 Antenna Replacement

I ordered a C8, but haven't opened it yet (delivered last night, need to go to the mailbox and get it), but looking at the pictures, it appears the antennas are fixed at 90 degrees vertical, which won't work very well for wall mount (I don't think), is it possible to replace them with adjustable antennas (so I could wall mount it and still keep them vertical)? if so what kind would I need? I can live with it on a shelf for a while, but eventually my OCD is going to win out and I'll need to do something with it to wall mount it with mu other two hubs. Thanks!

1 Like

Mount the C-8 on the wall with the antennas to the left or right.... then the upper antenna can rotate to be pointing up, the lower antenna rotates to point down. There ya are, vertical antennas :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh duuuh. Didnt even think of that ! Then my OCD only has to deal with the logo being sideways!! :laughing:

3 Likes

It doesn't look sideways to me, but there's choices: Print a label. :smiley:

3 Likes

Spray paint it black? Put a Englebert Humperdink sticker on the front?

5 Likes

If you place the antenae to the left the logo should be in the proper upright position…

2 Likes

See, another good suggestion! Honestly, it's in a closet I won't see it very often. Like I said I haven't actually seen it yet, i plan to play with it when I get home tonight. Im just going off pictures now .

Ahhh see, i hadn't even noticed it is sides ways to begin with, you are right! if I mount it antenna to the left it will be the same as the other hubs.

4 Likes

Place the logo side towards the wall to allow better ventilation. I use Command Strips.

3 Likes

I will have it mounted on a laptop cooling pad with three fans, Here is how its currently set up with the two C7's on a two fan pad. the three fan pad will be here tomorrow.

With a POE splitter like that can you

A control the power via the switch?
B do you backup the power in any way and how.

A. Yep, as long as it’s a POE switch. Mine is a POE Texas 8 port unmanaged switch. If I need to remove (unplug) the power from the hub I just unplug the data cable from the switch.
B. Specifically on the equipment? Not currently. We have a Tesla power wall for the whole house. I am still considering a UPS for this though.

Sorry i meant remotely through the network.

Ahh. nope, still have to manually unplug it. I just did the POE because I don't have and can't get enough outlets in there for what I need. Wouldn't be an issue if manufacturers would standardize on adapter sizes.

If you have a managed POE hub you can cycle the port (turn it off an on)

3 Likes

It's not managed. This is what I have
8-Port Gigabit 802.3af/at PoE Switch for Video, Tablet & Security Appl (poetexas.com)

I have been considering switching to a managed POE hub. First i need to get my house wired for data (three lines are there, they just aren't connected to anything) and add about 3 or 4 more. Do you have an affordable recommendation?

2 Likes

I have one of these that I use for my hubs in a closet. Works well. https://www.amazon.com/MokerLink-PoE-Gigabit-Managed-IEEE802-3af/dp/B0B5KPHVJM

For the rest I have a few Catalyst 3750-X 48 port POE switches around the house and in a rack. Overkill for sure but hey... why not... They're older but still getting firmware updates (at least last year).

hummmmm.. You have me thinking about this more, definitely not a bad price.

EDIT
How difficult is it to set up for someone who doesn't do this for a living? Or, I guess mor importantly, would you be willing to work with me on the side to get it set up?

Plug your cords in, power up the switch. Go to the web interface and play with the options (really defaults are fine, but you can turn the ports off and on cycling the power on that port)

1 Like

I guess I always thought "managed" meant there was alot more to it... Just changing out that switch won't change My IP addresses or anything will it?